Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i live in egypt and i have ambient temp 23 my case have 5 fans now i dont have enough money to buy great cooler for my new i7 8700k what can i do i could get hyper 212 dual fan the question here can it cool 8700k on stock i no need overclocking now and what temperature will i have if i use the hyper 212 i will get new with qulaity after 5 months need your opinions

·
⤷ αC
11,239 Posts
Probably if you don't use AVX workloads and keep voltage moderate , since those kind of loads are about 130-140W power draw.

Just don't expect it to be quiet. It would probably have to work at max 1800 RPM.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Max TDP is 180w

Its not the greatest cooler

Can you find any acrtic cooling products?

I have an i30 that I bought a few years ago that has a max tdp of 320w and its not much bigger, they have some newer designs and not expensive either

·
Avid Memer
5,958 Posts
I wouldn't judge a cooler based on the manufacturer's claimed cooling capacity. No one is using a Hyper 212 to cool a CPU that's producing 180W of heat. If they are, they won't be for very long.

The Hyper 212 is probably good enough for stock turbo clocks, especially if your motherboard has MCE enabled to allow all twelve threads to run at max turbo of 4.7 GHz. How well it would perform would defend on how much voltage you need to achieve a desired clock. If you can get a Cryorig H7, that would be a better option as it cools a little bit better for approximately the same price.

·
Avid Memer
5,958 Posts
Those are synthetic tests. I take those with a grain of salt because it isn't an accurate representation of real-world use. I imagine very few people will have their CPU isolated for these tests to be relevant.

·
⤷ αC
11,239 Posts
They're synthetic so as to have reproducible results.

When you see reviewers testing on CPUs they sometimes have the NH-U14S a few degrees on par with the 212 Evo or the H7 on par with a Silver Arrow, which is obviously mistaken. Sometimes it is due to exceptionally low loads such as locked CPUs. Other times it is due to not accounting for CPU wattage variances or case fan speeds.

The anandtech review shows thermal resistance per wattage, which can be used to figure out the total thermal resistance including the thermal paste.

Also.. you recommend "Get something better" but recommend a Cryorig H7 when it is essentially a Coolermaster 212 Evo level cooler ... the heatpipes to transfer heat and fin area are lacking. Even Cryorig themselves only recommends 140W on the Cryorig H7 with 3 x 6mm heatpipes.

http://www.cryorig.com/h7_us.php

the H7 quad Lumi is specced for 160W http://www.cryorig.com/h7ql_us.php

·
Avid Memer
5,958 Posts
It is similar level, yes, but still a bit better. Either cooler is adequate for stock clocks or a light overclock. I still maintain I would not use either cooler for a HEDT CPU that would produce 180+ watts of heat.

·
⤷ αC
11,239 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts