Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know gtx 970 has 3.5 fast ram and 0,5 slow ram, if i overclock it with msi afterburner let's say +300ram will i get 3800 fast ram together?

Thanks for answers

·
I've no idea what I'm doi
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir21 View Post

We all know gtx 970 has 3.5 fast ram and 0,5 slow ram, if i overclock it with msi afterburner let's say +300ram will i get 3800 fast ram together?

Thanks for answers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsemama1956 View Post

What?
Exactly

If I understand this correctly, he wants to know if overclocking the RAM on the 970 will give him all 4GB of usable fast GDDr5, to which the answer would be, no.

·
Premium Member
10,977 Posts
Nope.

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
if you overclock the memory on the GTX 970 you will increase the Bandwidth/Frequency for the 970 it would be 192*(Effective speed)/8/1024 + 32(Effective speed)/8 /1024 GBps per memory pool

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

if you overclock the memory on the GTX 970 you will increase the Bandwidth/Frequency for the 970 it would be 192*(Effective speed)/8/1024 + 32(Effective speed)/8 /1024 GBps per memory pool
Right now i play a game and it goes above 3500 ram i start getting fps drops etc. WIll overclocking ram lower the ram usage during gameplay or what will it do for games?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Quote:

WIll overclocking ram lower the ram usage during gameplay or what will it do for games?
Overclocking VRAM doesn't affect the usage or allocation of video memory in games/applications. Overclocking VRAM will increase its bandwidth [and latency if its timings remain the same] which in turn will improve GPU performance.
Quote:

As PoniacGTX implied, the "3.5GB of fast ram and .5GB of slow ram" is effectively due to the GPU's architecture and how GTX 970 chips are disabled/cut. Because of this, software such as MSI Afterburner can't directly fix the "slow .5GB memory" problem as it's hardware related. If the FPS is dropping because of the slower memory pool or "slow memory", the best solution users have is turning down or disabling settings related to VRAM usage.

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Quote:

Right now i play a game and it goes above 3500 ram i start getting fps drops etc. WIll overclocking ram lower the ram usage during gameplay or what will it do for games?
the way for the end user to reduce the vram usage is reducing image quality\settings /textures size/quality,reducing the resolution and/or reducing the antialiasing levels,but regardless of the changes you can do to the vram speed,the way nvidia organized the Vram is split up in 2 parts 3.5GB(7x 32bit memory each) and 0.5GB(1x32bit memory) given the odd SMM number http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-Discloses-Full-Memory-Structure-and-Limitations-GTX-970

Maybe nvidia has tried to manage the memory pools with software tweaks(game code and driver level) if you want to keep same image quality/resolution or higher get a different card(like a r9 290/x/r9 390/x/r9 nano/gtx 980) or wait for amd polaris(which amd leaks show that it would perform around a 980ti for around 300usd and use less than 200w) or Nvidia pascal

1 - 9 of 9 Posts