Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
smile.gif


I'm wondering if HDMI supports 120hz.
I've been googling this all day, and i see people saying that HDMI 1.4 can do it, and others saying it can never happen.. Really confused atm.
thinking.gif
 

·
Excel Guru
Joined
·
12,121 Posts
I know it will do full 3D 1080p24 since that would require 24 frames for each eye. I'm not sure if it does 120Hz though.

(Edited for correct framerate information on 3D.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren9 View Post

I believe 1.4b specifically supports 120Hz at 1080p video, 1.4b doesn't increase the pixel clock though which seems to suggest 1.4/1.4a has sufficient bandwidth. Either way it'll only be if the sending and receiving device both support it.
This is the key. BUt 1.4 does support it.

Best way to find out is to test it!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,114 Posts
None of the true 120hz monitors can do 120hz via HDMI 1.4a (displayport & dual-link DVI with PC's only) and TV's only accept 60hz and under. 3D TV's do [email protected](3D blu-ray) or [email protected] (3D console games). Consoles accept a maximum of 60hz.
 

·
Excel Guru
Joined
·
12,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MenacingTuba View Post

None of the true 120hz monitors can do 120hz via HDMI 1.4a (displayport & dual-link DVI with PC's only) and TV's only accept 60hz and under. 3D TV's do [email protected](3D blu-ray) or [email protected] (3D console games). Consoles accept a maximum of 60hz.
People seem to make a big stink about having a "true" 120Hz display. You're suggesting that those displays only work at 120Hz if they use HDMI 1.4b, D-DVI, or DisplayPort, correct?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post

People seem to make a big stink about having a "true" 120Hz display. You're suggesting that those displays only work at 120Hz if they use HDMI 1.4b, D-DVI, or DisplayPort, correct?
I suppose if they call it HDMI 2.0 or 1.4b doesn't matter much if the provided bandwidth is sufficient. There were rumors about HDMI 2.0 coming up this fall but the last news was from last spring.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post

People seem to make a big stink about having a "true" 120Hz display. You're suggesting that those displays only work at 120Hz if they use HDMI 1.4b, D-DVI, or DisplayPort, correct?
Any 120hz TV out today can not accept a 120hz signal, period. That's why they aren't "true" 120hz.

I don't think there is any display, PC or TV, that can take 120hz over HDM., Although the latest HDMI spec *should* support it over 1080p.
 

·
Excel Guru
Joined
·
12,121 Posts
So why do a lot of people suggest otherwise, searching for a true 120Hz monitor.

Edit: OK, I presume you mean specifically a TV (i.e. With a tuner and image processing), and resign to there being a true 120Hz monitor. It's just that HDMI 1.4a and below cannot be used with it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy9000 View Post

Any 120hz TV out today can not accept a 120hz signal, period. That's why they aren't "true" 120hz.
I don't think there is any display, PC or TV, that can take 120hz over HDM., Although the latest HDMI spec *should* support it over 1080p.
How hard is it for these companies to put a damn DVI-D dual link input on these new TVs. Sorry thats been making me angry for years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So since my GTX 680 only supports 1.4a, i won't be able to get 120hz 1080p over HMDI. Correct?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJP View Post

So since my GTX 680 only supports 1.4a, i won't be able to get 120hz 1080p over HMDI. Correct?
The monitor is the problem, not your video card. I do not think there is a monitor created that will accept 120hz over HDMI. Your video card would probably do it if someone made a monitor that could.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post

Yes. Display port or DVI-D is not an option?
The monitor im planning on buying is the Samsung S27A750D. It has HDMI and Display port.
The thing is, i'm hearing that some people are having problems with the display port, so i was making sure if there's another option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy9000 View Post

The monitor is the problem, not your video card. I do not think there is a monitor created that will accept 120hz over HDMI. Your video card would probably do it if someone made a monitor that could.
I see... Thank you!
smile.gif
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,480 Posts
There is a single reason why HDMI 1.4a cannot process a 120 Hz 1080P signal. The specification and cable can handle it. It is that all HDMI pixel clock chips produced have been under the frequency requirement to handle that bandwidth. New HDMI pixel clock chips are coming out in 2013 that will run at 330 MHz and be able to run 1080P @ 120 Hz. The main drive behind that is to get true 120 Hz 1080P projectors for true 60 Hz/Eye 3D. I'd imagine the proper (faster) HDMI chips would find their way into any decent display.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallsignVega View Post

There is a single reason why HDMI 1.4a cannot process a 120 Hz 1080P signal. The specification and cable can handle it. It is that all HDMI pixel clock chips produced have been under the frequency requirement to handle that bandwidth. New HDMI pixel clock chips are coming out in 2013 that will run at 330 MHz and be able to run 1080P @ 120 Hz. The main drive behind that is to get true 120 Hz 1080P projectors for true 60 Hz/Eye 3D. I'd imagine the proper (faster) HDMI chips would find their way into any decent display.
That's interesting, the 1.3 spec is a max 340MHz pixel clock - So nothing has ever fully supported 1.3 even, let alone 1.4? (except graphics cards I guess?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallsignVega View Post

There is a single reason why HDMI 1.4a cannot process a 120 Hz 1080P signal. The specification and cable can handle it. It is that all HDMI pixel clock chips produced have been under the frequency requirement to handle that bandwidth. New HDMI pixel clock chips are coming out in 2013 that will run at 330 MHz and be able to run 1080P @ 120 Hz. The main drive behind that is to get true 120 Hz 1080P projectors for true 60 Hz/Eye 3D. I'd imagine the proper (faster) HDMI chips would find their way into any decent display.
Now you've got me hooked. Any details, sources or other additional info like roadmaps or timeframes?
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top