Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been checking out the swiftech mcp50x and I all ready own a ek x-res 100 reservoir top . from what I read about the swiftech mcp50x is that it is not compatible with any after market tops . so I was wondering if I changed the housing of the pump to a ek heatsink housing would this work and make the pump compatible with my ek x-res 100 reservoir top ?

·
Registered
970 Posts
I don't think this would be possible. The reason the pump is not compatible is the size of the pump. I don't think you could put it in a standard ddc housing its to big. The physical size of the mcp50x PCB is larger than the PCB of the ddc. I have not physically measured the PCBs.

·
Banned
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw63 View Post

I don't think this would be possible. The reason the pump is not compatible is the size of the pump. I don't think you could put it in a standard ddc housing its to big. The physical size of the mcp50x PCB is larger than the PCB of the ddc. I have not physically measured the PCBs.
I know I sent a private message to the mediator of swiftech and he told me it would not be compatible with the ek x-res 100 reservoir top . I would have to buy the swiftech mcp35x tube reservoir top . but I am not sure it would be worth it . I currently have a swiftech mcp350 and a ek x-res 100 reservoir top . my build is listed in my signature . do you think it would be worth the upgrade ?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orndorf77 View Post

I know I sent a private message to the mediator of swiftech and he told me it would not be compatible with the ek x-res 100 reservoir top . I would have to buy the swiftech mcp35x tube reservoir top . but I am not sure it would be worth it . I currently have a swiftech mcp350 and a ek x-res 100 reservoir top . my build is listed in my signature . do you think it would be worth the upgrade ?
I can not say if it would be a worth while upgrade. What's wrong with your current configuration? There is the old adage "if it's not broken don't fix it" if you want to spend your money then go right ahead.

·
Premium Member
4,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orndorf77 View Post

What would you classify as worth it? would you like to see higher flow rates or less noise or lower temps or something else?

The 50X is Swiftech designed pump so you have to use their parts. There is no way around that.
The Laing pumps like the DDC and D5 are made by (naturally) Laing, and each company just resells it and makes accessories. There is lots of choice in accessories available. To me that alone makes the Laing pumps the better choice but other people have different priorities.

If you swapped to the 50X you would no doubt have higher flow rates. At the possible expense of noise, and the higher flow rate will not give you noticeably lower temperatures. Once you have the flow rates your system should already have any higher makes stuff all difference ... like tiny fractions of a degree difference.

So yeah, it all depends what you are looking for. As the others have said though, if it already works why change it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts