1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
You're the only judge for stability, whether or not your computer is up to the task when you run real world applications and games. But if the temps are good, it looks pretty solid.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LemonSlice
View Post

You're the only judge for stability, whether or not your computer is up to the task when you run real world applications and games. But if the temps are good, it looks pretty solid.

maxes at 50C

·
Player of Videogames
165 Posts
Should be solid.

For me it's a bit different. It'll pass any x amount of hours in LinX and Prime95 but it'll BSOD with regular usage...

But you should use more memory. Use 3072 and go for 50 passes. Watch your temp go up

It'll stress the living hell out of your CPU-NB.

EDIT: Don't forget to turn on ACC on, and set it to auto. It'll help with stability. Your mobo has SB750 so it should support it.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackguard
View Post

Should be solid.

For me it's a bit different. It'll pass any x amount of hours in LinX and Prime95 but it'll BSOD with regular usage...

But you should use more memory. Use 3072 and go for 50 passes. Watch your temp go up

It'll stress the living hell out of your CPU-NB.

EDIT: Don't forget to turn on ACC on, and set it to auto. It'll help with stability. Your mobo has SB750 so it should support it.

acc usually messes up and i have to reset the CMOS

·
Player of Videogames
165 Posts
Yeah I've had that happen.

What I had to do is switch ACC to Hybrid mode before it would work. Not sure if your board has the same options though.

·
Player of Videogames
165 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Th0m0_202
View Post

my hybrid wont post for some reason

ACC doesn't do any good for PhII's stability. PhII already have ACC integrated, and turning it on from the mobo makes them more unstable.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

View Post

Yeah I've had that happen.

What I had to do is switch ACC to Hybrid mode before it would work. Not sure if your board has the same options though.

yeah mine has hybrid

·
Player of Videogames
165 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by philhalo66
View Post

yeah mine has hybrid

So basically you're saying that ACC on Hybrid + Auto causes instability?
Also, did you overclock the NB?

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

View Post

So basically you're saying that ACC on Hybrid + Auto causes instability?
Also, did you overclock the NB?

no i never used hybrid before i don't know all i did was up the reference clock to 235MHz

Edit there's no NB overclock options only ram timings voltage control and the reference clock

·
Player of Videogames
165 Posts
Well, for me, Auto/Auto caused issues, but Hybrid/Auto allowed me to overclock to 3010 Mhz (current speed), and will probably let me overclock higher, if I fiddle with the settings enough.

Give it a try if you feel adventurous, which I am assuming you are, since you're overclocking in the first place

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Abrajam View Post
yeap it seems nice but why are u only testing with 1gb of ram when u have 4gb u should at least stress with 90% of your ram. as it does help make sure u are stable.
i only got 2GB's 1 of my ram slots died on my mobo so until i get a new one ill be stuck with 2GBs and vista idles at 1GB

·
Player of Videogames
165 Posts
There should be a NB multiplier... maybe it's a hidden setting (or a setting limited to BE CPUs). Hit CTRL+F1 at the main bios screen and see if that unlocks anything.

Either way, the CPU-NB frequency rises with the reference clock. By default it's at x10, so 235x10 means your CPU-NB is running at 2350 Mhz right now.
To confirm, open CPU-Z and go to memory. It should be listed as NB Frequency.

Quote:

Originally Posted by philhalo66
View Post

i only got 2GB's 1 of my ram slots died on my mobo so until i get a new one ill be stuck with 2GBs and vista idles at 1GB

More ram used with LinX means the IMC is stressed more, and in all my tests I have noticed that CPU temp rises when more ram is allocated to LinX.

Edit: Also, HT Link speed goes up with reference clock, and it's known to cause instability at anything over 2000, so if you have issues, you'll want to lower the multiplier on it from 10x to 9x.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackguard View Post
There should be a NB multiplier... maybe it's a hidden setting (or a setting limited to BE CPUs). Hit CTRL+F1 at the main bios screen and see if that unlocks anything.

Either way, the CPU-NB frequency rises with the reference clock. By default it's at x10, so 235x10 means your CPU-NB is running at 2350 Mhz right now.
To confirm, open CPU-Z and go to memory. It should be listed as NB Frequency.

More ram used with LinX means the IMC is stressed more, and in all my tests I have noticed that CPU temp rises when more ram is allocated to LinX.

Edit: Also, HT Link speed goes up with reference clock, and it's known to cause instability at anything over 2000, so if you have issues, you'll want to lower the multiplier on it from 10x to 9x.
i already turned down the HT i did the ram 1 notch too and cpuz says my NB is 2115.2MHz i set my ram to 667 and overclocked the reference clock till the ram is at 800MHz(or close to it) i backed down the HT a notch(1GHz from 1.8)

·
Player of Videogames
165 Posts
With CPU at ~2900 i could do NB at 2350 and ram at 940 5-5-5-15 and have it stable. +.1v on NB vid and NB core.

Once I hit 3000ish, overclocking the NB only caused instability... It would pass any number of hours in P95 and LinX, but i'd get BSODs with regular windows usage.

Phenom I processors are some weird specimens.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackguard View Post
With CPU at ~2900 i could do NB at 2350 and ram at 940 5-5-5-15 and have it stable. +.1v on NB vid and NB core.

Once I hit 3000ish, overclocking the NB only caused instability... It would pass any number of hours in P95 and LinX, but i'd get BSODs with regular windows usage.

Phenom I processors are some weird specimens.
i cant even get mine to post after 2.82 i figure its because its the 95 Watt version of the 9750 my board doesn't have any multiplier crtl+f1 didn't do anything

·
Player of Videogames
165 Posts
I could get mine to post at higher than 2.8 but nothing i tried was stable. Then I turned on Hybrid ACC and that's what got me to 3 GHz.

By the way, according to the validation in your siggy, it looks like you're UNDERvolting? Either that or your mobo/psu have issues.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts