Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, we get to work on our college computers and there silent i was like "i want my home computer to be this quiet" opened it up and it has no fan on the cpu, just a heatsink!

Can i not do this, there chips where P3's @ 866MHz so im guessing they produce less heat than a 3200+ OC a bit?! (2300MHz)

I would LOVE a silent PC!!

·
OVERCLOCK IT OR DIE
7,336 Posts
Yeah I had a 800Mhz with only fins, the loudest thing on it was a cd drive. There was a 1 Ghz AMD chip made to use passive cooling only. I'll have to find it again.

Also you may try undervolting the fans, I got mine on a controller and I keep them low and quiet.

• Rep+
Reactions: Sin100

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
There are some large, passive CPU coolers out on the market that can help move towards a silent computer. Case air flow becomes even more important with those, though, so case fans are still critical. The best way to go silent in my opinion is to 1) invest in silent water cooling or 2) invest in silent fans. I wrote "invest" with both options because both carry a premium over standard air cooling, but there are some good fans out there that push a fair amount of air at a very low noise level. You could also invest in a mobile CPU. Those produce less heat, which requires less cooling, which cuts down on fans.

Many of those old P3s just had passive heatsinks, which is likely why those are so quiet. Go back a couple of generations before that, and the CPUs were bare on the mobo without even a heatsink.

·
Premium Member
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha ok thanks guys!

I guess these days chips run too fast (particles?) thus causing more heat, compared to the old chips that don't give off much, but are SLOW!

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
There is the Silent Tower which is huge and has drawbacks due to RAM obstructions and a very poor heat tube to heatsink mating.
Taeric has the answer with the use fans but quiet ones, enough of those will get the volume without the noise.

·
OVERCLOCK IT OR DIE
7,336 Posts
Yeah honestly if it's not the fans you'll hear the hard drive or the powersupply.

EDIT: Couldn't find that chip again, I know it was AMD though. And it had a HUGE block of aluminum over it lol.

·

29,532 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Modki
View Post

Yeah honestly if it's not the fans you'll hear the hard drive or the powersupply.

And that doesn't include fans?

·
Banned
1,362 Posts
my old compaq before i got this rig didnt have a fan the lodest thing was the dam PSU that rang at a high pich squeal. it was so annoying.

·
Premium Member
2,825 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fury
View Post

To get your pc silent. Its easy and there is

SIMPLY:

Turn it off

Fury

Yeah, there really is no such thing as a totally silent PC if you want high-end performance.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Get a BT or something and have the fan on tick over, just enough to move air.

I have a 92mm fan on my HS and at half speed it's only a few degrees higher than full.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts