Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 laptop operating systems. One is for my brand new hp laptop computer. When i booted my laptop i made a 3 disk system backup restore cd. This disk has windows media center and everything on it. Can i use these backup disks to use as my operating system on my desktop pc?

·
Banned
10,581 Posts
Give it a try. I know with Dell windows installation CDs you cant. At least I could never get it to go unless it was another Dell.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
You can, at least I have with Dell cd's on my computer, you just have to call microsoft to activate it.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I cant give it a try accually haha. I need to buy my powersupply for my first build tonight. If i buy the powersupply i want i wont be able to buy my operating system as well. BUT, if the operating system from my laptop works on my desktop, i can get the right power supply

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is an HP laptop. This laptop did not come with installation cd's, It comes with everything installed and you have to make your own boot/installation cd's right after your first boot.

·
Banned
10,581 Posts
If your desktop isnt an HP i really dont think it'll work.

When you install on Dells it never asks you for a CD key, that's because it already got it somehow. But that same disk wont work on another make of PC.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, this is not a hp...its a computer i built myself. =( that means i have to wait another 2 weeks to buy my darn operating system

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, im a college student and i dont get paid very much at my current job...I just spent 104.99 on my best buy 1 year plan for my new laptop. And i had to pay my rent this week...285.00....Now i only have enough to buy my power supply for 144.99 and have about 100 bucks for food for the next 2 weeks lol i cant afford to get both....The microsoft media center is 109.00

1 - 9 of 9 Posts