Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,
as the caption suggest itself that can i enable quad or tri memory channel on my mobo as stated in my sig rig as GIGABYTE 890FXA-ud7...
here's a pic of it..
thumb.gif

also i'm using -
these rams...
corsair vengeance 2*4 gb 9-9-9-24 1600 mHz @ 1666 mHz..
smile.gif

note from the mobo pic that DIMM slots are located as follows-
BLUE-WHITE-BLUE-WHITE

i'v installed these two vengeance sticks in two blue slots and cpu z is showing me that are in dual channel mode..
which is all fine for me...
all i wanna ask is that if i install a single same ram stick in any one of the two remaining white slots ... will the tri channel memory mode will gets enabled or not...
similarly for the quad channel also will i jhave to do same i.e. to install two same ram sticks in two remaining white slots...
am i right ? or am i missing something....
please correct me if i'm doing anything wrong...
thumb.gif

thanks
smile.gif

P.S. - i knew that it is suggested to use the same memory stick of same brand and same timing..ok
but what about the capacity of these memory modules. should they also be the same..

also let me know can i install the memory of same timing (but of different capacity) and of the same brand to enable the quad mode ....
4 gb- 2 gb - 4gb- 2 gb

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Tri and quad channel need a different memory controller the only desktop processors with that capability are intel processors.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
...and for typical desktop use there is no advantage to triple or quad core RAM anyway as objective, scientific testing has shown that dual channel DDR3 is not a system bottleneck when operated at or above ~1333 MHz. frequency. Quad channel may be good for heavy load servers however but as noted this requires a different RAM controller and mobo.

You're not losing anything in performance with your dual channel RAM mobo.

Mixing DDR3 RAM is not recommended as it's a crapshoot because you never know what will or won't work properly. In THEORY all DDR3 RAM should work mixed, but often they don't work or work without issues. If you desire to try mixing of DDR3 RAM it's always best to use identical RAM or RAM with at least identical size, voltage and latencies. the only means to determine if your RAM mixing will work is by testing it.

See this RAM thread link for details.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1258037/is-it-safe-to-overvolt-my-ram-to-1-65v

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Want triple-channel? Get an X58 and Nehalem i7.
Want quad-channel? Get an X79 and SNB-E i7 or AMD G34 and a pair of Opteron 6100/6200.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts