Overclock.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just wondering if this is the best i can get..

i want a new system to house my old 3.0 775 chip (will upgrade it last) and make the jump from agp to sli, and just run single sli (but a nice card) for now and then dual it later,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131564

I dont know about it's overclocking options, etc, anyone had any experience?

on my current ga-647fx-775 (gigabyte) mobo i've got this 3.0 to run @ 4.05 which was quite impressive, but after a few days the cpu reset back to 3.0.. was nice while it lasted, is fine @ 3.91 currently

if there's a better one out there, let me know (doesnt need to be asus, ive heard lanparty are good but i've had bad experience with gigabyte sata ports)

also a quick question, can I use my ddr400 ram on this board or do I need to ugprade straight away (I want ddr800 eventually but if i could port this ram over for now and change it later that'd be better)

thanks

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
no replies?

basically i want my new parts to be the best of the best....i know something better will come out, .. dual 7800 gt's are going to end up in this, i really want to see what kinda 3dmark06 looks like properly, 12fps~ on my x800 agp sucks..

going by it's price $200us~AU$315 it's fairly expensive,..

anyone??? post a link to a better motherboard....i dare you!! (?)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was considering amd but i've seen like 3 recently die in the last two weeks, which has turned me off for now (athlon2k's-3k's).. anyway processor isnt my main concern, i will keep my 800fsb single core 3.0 (which ive oc'ed to 4.05 and it can go higher, the ram and mobo are limiting at the moment) and wait until the 1066 fsb chips are affordable and upgrade to that,

i use my system for gaming, so SLI is a must. one thing which i dont like about the board above is that it only has 1 x16 pci-e slot, the other is only a 2x. The P5N32-SLI Deluxe has dual 16x pci-e slots. it seems to have better raid capabilities, however ill only be running dual hdd's in raid 0 (striped or whatever)

the board ive suggested has heatpipes etc on the mobo and looks better, so other than the minor differences above i cant see a massive difference here.. i will be buying a new thermaltake case with watercooling for it (tsunami all ready made) so i should get decent oc's, im not going for world records though, just something impressive.

but all in all, I want a game I can run battlefield 2 in ultra high detail. my x800 xt pe doesnt cut it properly, and a 3dmark05 score of 6500~ doesnt satisfy, i want tripple that and more, plus if I dont sell the AGP card soon it will be worthless. Plus I want some kinda futureproof system (For at least 6-12 months), as i mentioned i can easily upgrade the chip next year to a 1066 fsb dual core 4.0 or something which will be affordable by then,

any more suggestions throw them my way i want the best gaming system i can, i was really looking into crossfire but i dont think it's developed far enough yet to feel comfortable spending all that money on (with the whole master/slave card thing..)

price isnt a concern, cant hurt to look, ive learnt an important lesson and that's to NEVER skimp on the motherboard!!

edit: the box says crossfire ready....i dont understand....i thought that SLI and CrossFire motherboards were different???? maybe i dont know as much as I thought..so out of touch with hardware..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts