Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just tried to install ubuntu onto a flash drive and I forgot that I had some files on said drive... The install also doesn't work so now when I plug in my flash drive, it shows up as a drive called ubuntu8 with only 3.7gb instead of the original 8gb. Also, none of the storage was used to install ubuntu since the installation only got to the point where it partitioned my flash drive. Anyway, those files I said I had in there were pretty important and I was wondering if there is a way to get rid of the partition without killing the files.
Please help meeee...

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by getllamasfast
View Post

I just tried to install ubuntu onto a flash drive and I forgot that I had some files on said drive... The install also doesn't work so now when I plug in my flash drive, it shows up as a drive called ubuntu8 with only 3.7gb instead of the original 8gb. Also, none of the storage was used to install ubuntu since the installation only got to the point where it partitioned my flash drive. Anyway, those files I said I had in there were pretty important and I was wondering if there is a way to get rid of the partition without killing the files.
Please help meeee...

Recovery Is Possible.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by getllamasfast
View Post

I love you for posting that... but what exactly does it do? I read it and it was kinda confusing... sorry

It has a bunch of recovery utilities. The one you probably want to run is PhotoRec. It recovers a wide variety of file types in addition to photos, so if your files are recoverable at all, then it should find them. Boot from the CD with the USB stick plugged in so that it detects it.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
E-Z mode: Make a live CD of Ubuntu, boot it, mount flash drive, eat cake.

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
but he needs to recover hsi files

don't touch anything on the flash, leave it as it is, and then run the tools error10 posted, or FreeUndelete

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by -iceblade^
View Post

but he needs to recover hsi files

don't touch anything on the flash, leave it as it is, and then run the tools error10 posted, or FreeUndelete

Yeah i know, mounting the flash drive because the OS on it doesn't work won't
delete any of the files. It'll show the partitions on the drive in ubuntu.

·
Banned
8,950 Posts
To be honest, if you installed Ubuntu on the drive, but it failed, it seems like by default if you did default installing, it would have formatted the drive, and I doubt you're going to recover files by doing these little utilities.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Before you do anything MAKE A BACKUP of the drive. Do

Code:
Code:
dd if=/dev/sd[B]x[/B] of=/home/yourusername/flashdrive_master.img
x being the drive letter. This will be your master copy.
Make a copy of that and use it as your working image.

Code:
Code:
cp /home/yourusername/flashdrive_master.img /home/yourusername/flashdrive_working.img
Now mount that image

Code:
Code:
sudo mkdir /media/imagemount/
sudo mount /home/yourusername/flashdrive_working.img /media/imagemount/ -o loop
Now work on that mounted image and try to recover the data.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts