Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I need a os on 1 hard drive, and another os, on another hard drive. Is there something at post that can let me pick one of the 2 hard drives to boot from?Kinda like GRUB but letting me pick which hard drive to boot from. And yes, I know I can dual boot, but I don't want to do that.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
it all depends on your motherboard and what bios you use. on certain motherboards, pressing the "esc" key on boot gives you a boot menu where you can choose which device to boot from.

Otherwise, you'll have to change the boot device directly from bios.

Just wondering, what's wrong with doing standard dual boot?

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Not quite sure what the issue is with a dual-boot system....

I have a Dell Precision T7400 workstation, and I can press F11 during POST to pick which of my HDDs to boot from. The problem is that I have to be there during POST, otherwise it boots to the first default drive.

I've since migrated to GAG10. It's a lightweight bootloader that loads onto the reserved sectors of the primary HDD, and supports something like 9 different boot options.

I have four different operating systems on four different hard-drives or RAID-arrays, and the GAG10 bootloader works great for all of them.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want to honestly install mac osx leapord, but I don't want to format my hardrive. So thats why. I know my mobo will let me pick which drive to boot from tho.I just never thought of doing that. Thanks

·
Registered
612 Posts
i have W7 on my 500gb drive and Ubuntu on my 36gb drive. only reason i didn't dual boot on one drive is the fear of having to format in case something went wrong in the installation process. it was easier to just boot to a different HDD when computer is starting up.

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wtomlinson View Post
i have W7 on my 500gb drive and Ubuntu on my 36gb drive. only reason i didn't dual boot on one drive is the fear of having to format in case something went wrong in the installation process. it was easier to just boot to a different HDD when computer is starting up.
GAG10 writes the bootloader information to the reserved sectors on the primary boot device (drive / array). You can configure GAG10 to dual-boot with multiple OS on multiple drives and STILL preserving OS information even if you have to format one drive / partition or another...

·
Registered
612 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComGuards
View Post

GAG10 writes the bootloader information to the reserved sectors on the primary boot device (drive / array). You can configure GAG10 to dual-boot with multiple OS on multiple drives and STILL preserving OS information even if you have to format one drive / partition or another...

next time i get the itch to reformat both drives i'll have to give that a try then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts