Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of late all newer motherboards support hot swapping.

Has anyone used the hot swapping capability? and can I pull the OS drive out while it's running?

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
Pulling the OS drive causes Windows to semi-freeze, as in the mouse moves but nothing works, clicks, everything else. I'm not sure if replugging it in will bring it back, last time I did that by accident when I hot-pulled the wrong SATA cable and I had to hard power-off and power it back on. Other drives are fine to hotplug if you ensure there's nothing writing or open.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
If i'm not mistaken, you still actually have to power off your rig when removing the drive.

·
Banned
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramy;14241742
What OS? You can - but it may BSOD. Windows is highly likely to BSOD...
Yes, like Windows 7. Cause I keep hearing "hot swap, hot plug, hot swap, hot plug" everywhere now but it just came to my mind if I could pull the OS drive without ill effects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonSlice;14241744
Pulling the OS drive causes Windows to semi-freeze, as in the mouse moves but nothing works, clicks, everything else. I'm not sure if replugging it in will bring it back, last time I did that by accident when I hot-pulled the wrong SATA cable and I had to hard power-off and power it back on. Other drives are fine to hotplug if you ensure there's nothing writing or open.
Gonna give it a try on my next Windows 7 build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolio831;14241750
If i'm not mistaken, you still actually have to power off your rig when removing the drive.
Would that remove the "hot" in hot swap? Wouldn't turning off the machine be a cold swap?

·
Banned
21,557 Posts
You don't want to hotswap... when you do have to pull a hot drive out, you're usually up the creek anyways. The only way you could do it regardless if it was part of an array with a stripe, but then again, why are you running the os off the array?

·
Registered
72 Posts
For OS drives, its risky, however you should ensure write caching is enabled on your drive so that you do not pull a drive mid-write causing corruption before you test the waters. Worst case scenario, Windows will think there was an improper shutdown.

·
Banned
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr0sty;14244262
is your os on a raid ???? and does your raid card support hot swapping???

if yes then theres nothing wrong ... otherwise your just looking to create some troubles
No, just a single standalone OS drive. The question came to mind and I got curious.

Did a little Google search and none of the sites could tell me if the OS drive is swappable.

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
Well when they say hot swap they mean hot *swap*. You can't really swap the OS drive for another drive, so whether or not the OS drive can be unplugged is a moot point.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts