Overclock.net banner

Can I increase my OC by more, and by how much?

614 Views 4 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  The Pook
This is my first time ever overclocking, and just wanted to get a little bit more usage out of my GTX 970 before upgrading. I found a beginner's overclock which seems to give me another 7-8 fps or so in games but based on my temperatures it seems I can actually increase it even more.
The problem is, I'm not sure what to do. The beginner's OC mentioned to just start out by increasing core clock by +100 and memory clock by +400 which I've done, as you can see in the screenshot below.

Let's say I wanted to increase it a bit more... Would I just do +200 on core clock and +800 on memory clock to effectively double the OC that I'm running at the moment? I'm not sure how much the memory clock needs to be increased based on the core clock, but the beginner's overclock seems to indicate that you increase the memory clock by 4 times the core clock... Then again, I could just be guessing here.

I'm not looking to go absolutely crazy with the overclocking, but can you guys suggest any further OC to push a little more out of my GPU based on the temperatures shown in the screenshow below?

Many thanks guys.

Font Technology Screenshot Electronic device Software
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
872 Posts
This is my first time ever overclocking, and just wanted to get a little bit more usage out of my GTX 970 before upgrading. I found a beginner's overclock which seems to give me another 7-8 fps or so in games but based on my temperatures it seems I can actually increase it even more.
The problem is, I'm not sure what to do. The beginner's OC mentioned to just start out by increasing core clock by +100 and memory clock by +400 which I've done, as you can see in the screenshot below.

Let's say I wanted to increase it a bit more... Would I just do +200 on core clock and +800 on memory clock to effectively double the OC that I'm running at the moment? I'm not sure how much the memory clock needs to be increased based on the core clock, but the beginner's overclock seems to indicate that you increase the memory clock by 4 times the core clock... Then again, I could just be guessing here.

I'm not looking to go absolutely crazy with the overclocking, but can you guys suggest any further OC to push a little more out of my GPU based on the temperatures shown in the screenshow below?

Many thanks guys.

View attachment 2585440
I would get shadow of the tomb raider becnchmakr which is in the demo you can download for free, or get heaven benchmark for free, or get 3dmark
Timespy which is free.
I would use heaven to test mem overclock. Just crank it till you see artifacting like spots flashing on screen while heaven is running… then just back down mem clocks some till flashing goes away.
For core overclocking go to settings and unlock voltage control. Then the voltage slider move that to max-100%
Then turn you core up 50mhz at a time.
you can use heaven for this too but I would run sottr bench after. You will probablyget 150-200 core and 500 on mem. Not sure howgood gddr5 mem is.

· Registered
197 Posts
you might get a few extra fps. you will not get a 1080ti out of it by over clocking.
I think overclocking gpus is only a money making exercise for GPU makers.
If you want to play the latest games you will need the latest GPU.
For example:
In the late 90s intel was dead set against overclocking their cpus, if you had a intel motherboard there were no options at all to OC.
Then Intel realised they could make lots of money out of punters because everyone seems to think overclocking their PC will net huge gains.
It does not.

· 49 Cans of Ravioli
36,852 Posts
mod the BIOS. it's the last generation before NVIDIA screwed things up and blocked it. remove GPU boost, bump the voltage limit, and increase the power limit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts