Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother bought Home Premium from FreeRoller but obviously, the ISO will take a while to arrive.

I have a Windows 7 Pro disk (burned from an ISO) that I got through MSDNAA. Provided he has a legit key, can he install Win 7 HP from my Win 7 Pro disk?

It's a 64bit key and the disk holds the 64bit kernal.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
If you leave the activation key blank during the installation, it should ask you which edition of Windows you want to install. Or if you enter the activation key, it should install Home Premium automatically.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by error10 View Post
If you leave the activation key blank during the installation, it should ask you which edition of Windows you want to install. Or if you enter the activation key, it should install Home Premium automatically.
When I left the Product Key field blank during the installation of 7 Home Premium, it did not ask me which edition I wanted to install. What gives?

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
When I left the Product Key field blank during the installation of 7 Home Premium, it did not ask me which edition I wanted to install. What gives?
Well, I could be wrong. It happens sometimes. This is what they did in Vista, anyway. Let me fire up a VM and see what happens...

·
Bod ***s rock
22,857 Posts
I think because it installs the files before asking you for your key, the discs are now version and platform depenant so pro 64 will only do pro 64 and hp 64 will only do hp 64 but if you google there are legit links to the ISOs

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bitemarks and bloodstains View Post
I think because it installs the files before asking you for your key, the discs are now version and platform depenant so pro 64 will only do pro 64 and hp 64 will only do hp 64 but if you google there are legit links to the ISOs
Yeah, but when I installed Windows 7 Home Premium, I intentionally left the Product Key field blank during the installation and never asked me which edition I wanted to install.

·
Bod ***s rock
22,857 Posts
Quote:

Yeah, but when I installed Windows 7 Home Premium, I intentionally left the Product Key field blank during the installation and never asked me which edition I wanted to install.
was it a HP disc? It was the same with XP, pro disc couldnt install home and homne disc couldnt install pro

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

was it a HP disc? It was the same with XP, pro disc couldnt install home and homne disc couldnt install pro
Well, of course it was a Home Premium DVD since I installed Home Premium. Weren't you paying attention? Or are you sleepy?

Quote:

Well crap, I guess they did change it in Windows 7. This explains how to re-enable the product selection screen.
Meh. I'd rather stay 100% legit.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I remember with vista a retail copy would allow you to install any version you liked. But with OEM you couldnt.. Guessing a downloaded version would be the same as OEM so i dont think you will be able to.

But im not 100% sure.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Quote:

Meh. I'd rather stay 100% legit.

Yeah, so would I. But there's nothing illegitimate about that.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Yeah, so would I. But there's nothing illegitimate about that.
Really? I mean, I paid $49.99 for my copy of Windows 7 Home Premium. Would it cost me extra to make it install Ultimate?

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Quote:

Really? I mean, I paid $49.99 for my copy of Windows 7 Home Premium. Would it cost me extra to make it install Ultimate?
You still have to get a license from Microsoft. Come on, you know this.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Quote:

well its not illegal to modify a windows dvd anyways as long as its for personel use and u have a legit key (thats the way i see things but its a massive grey area)

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

yep you would need the ulitamate key doing what error shows just unlocks the files so any disc can install any version
So, I could buy the Home Premium disc and then get an illegal Ultimate Product Key... I think. I don't want to, but I'm trying to hold up my point, but it's becoming rather unstable.

Quote:

You still have to get a license from Microsoft. Come on, you know this.

I don't know how to get one without buying the packaged product from the store.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

get a key from MS and instead of waiting for the ISO to dl just use your HP disc or if a friend has lost their disc you can reinstall using your modied disc and their key
But I don't know how to get a key from MS. I'm just a regular consumer.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts