Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a couple of guides on OC a i7 and it seems like often they also show how to OC your ram too. XMP is working well for me and I would rather not mess with ram settings unless I have too. I was under the impression that you don't need to OC/adjust the ram settings if you don't want to when OC your cpu.

I got a new rig I put togethe this it's a i7-950 with a P6X58D-E corsair 3x2 1600 with XMP.

I know that OC a cpu can be a long process with testing and all. I was looking on the net for the AI TWEAKER settings that someone put so I could copy the settings but I'm having any luck finding those setting posted anywhere. I'm using a stock cooler. My cpu is D0 step version. Can someone give me some simple steps ? thanks

·
15,777 Posts
You can change the multiplier and ratio.
But you can't OC the CPU without the RAM OC'ing as well.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
The RAM is linked to your base clock that also drives your CPU clock.

Yes, you can leave you RAM speeds at stock by lowering its multiplier as increase the base clock.

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
Only at certain intervals - Where the base clock that your CPU and RAM speeds are based off of is a number that divides into your ram speed without a decimal. If you are trying to hit the exact stock speed that is.

You can lower the RAM multi and increase your bclk which will in effect OC the CPU without changing the RAM much.

Think of it this way. You have a base clock. Your CPU's speed is based off the base clock x the CPU multiplier / 1000.

So if your CPU mutliplier is 21 and you are running a base clock of 133 then it's 133 x 21 / 1000 = 2.783Ghz.

Same for the RAM multi.

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
It would better if you kept your RAM at 1333, honestly, due to QPI to CPU Ratio differences, the QPI doesn't really permit you to OC your RAM beyond 1333, because in truth there are not any 1600 MHZ RAM Motherboards out there yet, so why put unnecessary stress on your motherboard?

Though you CAN (technically) OC your RAM, the chances of it going bad in 2-4 months are actually quite high, also you may destroy your
CPU or IMC with the higher voltages required by the NEW OC'd RAM. The i5/750/760 & i7s were designed to run Low Voltage RAM and the MFG (Intel) clearly warns against Over Volting RAM, as it can and WILL Damage your CPU / IMC!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by _GTech View Post
It would better if you kept your RAM at 1333, honestly, due to QPI to CPU Ratio differences, the QPI doesn't really permit you to OC your RAM beyond 1333, because in truth there are not any 1600 MHZ RAM Motherboards out there yet, so why put unnecessary stress on your motherboard?

Though you CAN (technically) OC your RAM, the chances of it going bad in 2-4 months are actually quite high, also you may destroy your
CPU or IMC with the higher voltages required by the NEW OC'd RAM. The i5/750/760 & i7s were designed to run Low Voltage RAM and the MFG (Intel) clearly warns against Over Volting RAM, as it can and WILL Damage your CPU / IMC!
Oh man I'm at a loss of words here. You're on Overclock.net! not on StockClockStockVoltage.net

·
Registered
868 Posts
Quote:

... because in truth there are not any 1600 MHZ RAM Motherboards out there yet...
Hate to differ with you, but, there are indeed 1600 Mhz capable boards. Just because you run a i5, and will not possibly get to that speed, the i7 Extreme Editions naturally clock to 1600Mhz on a 58x board. Also, there are 2000 Mhz DDR3 boards out there as well. Where do you get your information?

·
Registered
3,708 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
This question is one that has prevented me thus far from OCing my Q6600 to ~3.2Ghz. I am unsure what to do with my RAM settings.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay lets get back to me. If I OC my cpu and it changes the ram settings I don't see how that would effect me. Does anybody know exactly what settings I need to change in the AI tweaker. There are alot of guides out there but there but complicated and they useully include ram OC with the cpu OC. Can't I just OC the cpu ? Why do these guides assume I want to OC my ram too ?

Which exact settings to I need to play with in my P6X58D-E for my i7-950 cpu. I searched the web to copy somebody else settings but could not find any for my setup I've seen some peoples settings but it looked like they messed around with there ram settings too. Plus I thought I read somewhere for people to frist OC one thing at a time, OC your cpu get it where you want it to be stable. Then start OC your ram.

What would be a modest OC do you think for my setup with a stock cooler 3.5-3.8 ?

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Quote:

get out!

BTW my board has ram multis upto 4ghz

·
Registered
536 Posts
ALERT. You guys are talking about whether it is ok to oc RAM. Guess what? the op doesn'st want to oc his ram, he want to oc his cpu W/O oc'ing his ram. As such, all this mumbo jumbo about whether it's ok to oc RAM is irrelevant to the issue at hand.

to the op: as you overclock your cpu, you increase youre ram clock rate, clear and simple. Too keep your ram from being "overclocked" beyond its specs while oc'ing the cpu, you have to lower the ram multiplier prior to oc'ing the cpu.

What this creates is a max cpu clock you can achieve without running your ram above spec at any given ram multiplier. Hence, a 2:8 ram ratio will only get you so far on your cpu oc before your ram approaches spec settings. if you want to go higher on the cpu from there, you need to run a lower ram multipler for more headroom

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Subzero11 View Post
Okay lets get back to me. If I OC my cpu and it changes the ram settings I don't see how that would effect me. Does anybody know exactly what settings I need to change in the AI tweaker. There are alot of guides out there but there but complicated and they useully include ram OC with the cpu OC. Can't I just OC the cpu ? Why do these guides assume I want to OC my ram too ?
When guides include "assuming" you want to OC your ram, it is usually not out of will, but general force.

You CPU speed is determined by two things: Your BCLK multiplied by the CPU Multiplier. This means to overclock your CPU, you can either raise the BCLK or raise the multiplier.

Your RAM speed is determined by two things: Your BCLK multiplied by the RAM multiplier. This means that if you raise the BCLK from OC'ing your CPU, you will be inherently OC'ing your RAM.

There are two primary ways of avoiding this:

A) Only raise the multiplier on your CPU, rather than raising the BCLK. This is typically only a viable option if you have a processor with an unlocked multiplier (which you do not).

B) Raise your BCLK, but lower the RAM multiplier. This way, you can achieve high CPU clocks while keeping RAM clocks down.

I don't really see why you are trying to do this, though. My memory is rated to run at 1333MHz yet I am running it at 1528MHz (191x8) and I am perfectly stable. I'm sure you could be, too.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Ok you got after market cooler. The intel stock fan failes @ 2.6 ghz.

I got 1600 mhz ram. i lowered timeings makeing it faster.
And yes. my ram runs @ 1600 mhz most of the time, Not now. 4 ghz not 4.2. But runs 4.2 ghz and ram is stock.
Mite need more volts to qpi volts mine is 1.4
Find the stock low volt you can do, to buil your way up to overclocking. Try 1.1 volts to cpu and ram @ blck 133 X 21 (cpu muiltiplyer)
Ok fin low volt with Linx runing and coretemp. Do 10 runs max memery for fast trying. I say low volt = .975 on old 920 D0 1.1 on c0 , and 930 never tried lower then .95
For 3.2ghz (cpu speed) here
Qpi volts 1.35
cpu volts 1.125
what ever your ram is , 1600 mhz, Then UNCORE needs to be 2 times this. Most ppl say 2X+1 so uncore speed 3200 or +1.
Ram volts 1.65 or 1.66 or 1.64 fine

For 4.2 i need wiht hyperthreading on (makes 4 core look like 8 = fast decoding and some programs. most dont need it )
cpu volts 1.375
qpi 1.4
ram 1.65
that about it. I got north bridge extar bump too. and south for the ssds i got . More bandwidth then most pcs. But not on here.

Anyway When starting out watch temps i ont like over 70deg. on i7 on air i was getting 4.2 on mega @ summer (90f degs) @ 80c deg on cpu
Temps are what kill. or volts do to. then dust. the ect...
Hope it helps ,

Jut ran ram under the speed of 1600 i do till i push past 4.2 More ram you got more is needed on qpi. .... ya my ram was never pushed past 1600mhz, but lower timings tho. like overclocking in a way . but that i after i find safe good overclock on cpu.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Detroitsoldier View Post
multiplier (which you do not).

B) Raise your BCLK, but lower the RAM multiplier. This way, you can achieve high CPU clocks while keeping RAM clocks down.

I don't really see why you are trying to do this, though. My memory is rated to run at 1333MHz yet I am running it at 1528MHz (191x8) and I am perfectly stable. I'm sure you could be, too.
Option B is exactly what i was saying above, and how i manage my ram speed for my oc's. OP, this is the answer for you. Your bios should tell you what the resulting ram speed will be once you enter a new bclk. That will give you an idea of how low your multipler needs to be for your ultimate oc. As to whether its ok to run memory above rates... thats up to you. I personally do not, just to be safe.

·
Premium Member
13,796 Posts
No there are not any 1600 MHz or higher boards. 1066/1333 MHz is the "normal" memory speed for x58/p55/amd boards. Anything higher is considered an overclock because they are not a JDEC standard.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts