Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm leaving for about a month, maybe two, and I was wondering if there would be any problems with just shutting down my WC'd boxes. I usually leave them on all the time running [email protected] when I'm not using them. Should I drain them or will they be fine?
confused.gif

·
Premium Member
9,085 Posts
hmmm, thats a good one

I would say drain it just in case

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I'd say drain them, especially if you got die. All that die sitting in your blocks will screw them up. If you only have distilled, the presence of the water wouldn't do anything but there might be a leak and even a small one could do a lot of damage in 2 months.

·
Registered
183 Posts
That is a tough judgment call. I agree with KaRLiTos that I would drain the loop mostly to avoid risk of microbial growth. It will be far easier to just fill up the loop when you return than to deal with either a leak or some microbial growth because the biocide precipitated out and became ineffective. Good luck.
smile.gif

·
Registered
442 Posts
I've wondered about this as well. IMO (correct me if I am wrong) if you drained the loop there would still be a little bit of water left over. That combined with the fact that when you drain it there will be new air (with bacteria, microbes, etc.) that has now been introduced to the loop. That stagnant water in the loop is now being exposed to outside air would only lead me to believe that it could potentially start growing some funky stuff. The next time you put in fresh water it would contaminate it. If that makes sense.

I say leave the water in there now since as far as you know it is sterile.

If you have dye I would drain it and put in regular distilled for the long break and make sure to use a kill coil or something of that nature.

·
100LB Rig Club
2,580 Posts
Agree with opening to new microbial growth. Leave it sealed. If you know it's not leaking now under pressure, just let it sit. Now if there is dye, drain it and never use anything but distilled...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm gonna go on vacation for a month, and I'm running Distilled+Aquacomputer blue protect. I'm gonna drain it, fill it up with distilled only, let it run for a couple of hours and drain again and leave it empty (also saves me some trouble of re-draining after vacation since I'll be adding some rad! ME LIKE)

·
Premium Member
9,085 Posts
After adding the Rad, If i'd were you, I would fill the loop with 1/3 vinegar, 2/3 distilled water and let in run for 15 minutes, then drain, refill with distilled water,run for 15 minutes, drain again, and the loop is clean from anything

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Eh, in my opinion i'd just leave it. Been watercooling for a number of years and my PC has been through longer periods of inactivity and it was fine.

I run a mix of automotive antifreeze and distilled as well.

Personally i'd see no harm in leaving it. In fact i'd do so without question.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback;14249064
one of these with the fittings at the lowest point in your loop
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/enmablg1tbl.html
one of these in the end of the spare tube end
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/enbnmablstfi.html
I know but at the lowest point there is a rad. How should I set it up ?

It looks like: -|- (top and both sides). Use both sides for the tube going to the radiator and use the top, add a fitting, put a tube and use the stop plug thing ?

·
Premium Member
6,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmen;14246173
I'd say drain them, especially if you got die. All that die sitting in your blocks will screw them up. If you only have distilled, the presence of the water wouldn't do anything but there might be a leak and even a small one could do a lot of damage in 2 months.
Even if it did leak, which would be almost impossible if it hasn't already. Nothing would happen because the system would be off and the water would have evaporated before he got home.

On topic.

If it was me I would just drain it, it takes 5 min.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blostorm;14249514
I know but at the lowest point there is a rad. How should I set it up ?

It looks like: -|- (top and both sides). Use both sides for the tube going to the radiator and use the top, add a fitting, put a tube and use the stop plug thing ?
that would work I would of thought, though you would leave water in the rad but once the rest of loop drained you could tip case so rad is towards drain

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.