Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, apologies if this has been covered before but I'm looking into changing motherboards and want to see if I can save my array. Specifically I'm going from an ASUS P6T7 (Intel ICH10R) to an ASUS Crosshair V Formula (AMD SB950).

I don't use the array to boot however, just as additional storage for files.

What would be the best way (if any) to save everything and have the array setup correctly (RAID10) on this new controller?

Thanks.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I believe the new controller will not be able to see the raid created by a different controller. Only way is to recreate the raid.

I'm not sure what the best way to do it, but one way would be to put all the data you want saved from the RAID onto a single drive, recreate the raid 10 on the new controller, and then recopy your data back onto your RAID.

Prolly not the news you wanted to hear

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
You will Get Bsod or windows will shut down after the windows logo apears has happened to me when i switch Raid using Amd to Intel and vise versa

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcrazy;15284980
I believe the new controller will not be able to see the raid created by a different controller. Only way is to recreate the raid.

I'm not sure what the best way to do it, but one way would be to put all the data you want saved from the RAID onto a single drive, recreate the raid 10 on the new controller, and then recopy your data back onto your RAID.

Prolly not the news you wanted to hear
Quote:
Originally Posted by crUk;15285108
Most likely it wont work.

How i would go about it if i was you. I would copy contents to a non raid storage. Then setup raid on new motherboard and copy files to array.
Hmm, yea I might buy a cheap 2 TB external drive I guess, the array has about 1.2 TB on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daman246;15285129
You will Get Bsod or windows will shut down after the windows logo apears has happened to me when i switch Raid using Amd to Intel and vise versa
The array is not used to boot, just for storage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts