Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an antec 300, I want to paint it all black (figures) Can I use spray cans from home depot? or does that make it look ugly?

·
PC Evangelist
46,946 Posts
I did it for my 900 and it worked fine. Don't get the glossy black though because its going to look fake.

• Rep+
Reactions: doc2142

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Sir..
you can indeed use Rattle cans for painting the case.
It's all about preperation, prep it the right way... being patient with the painting process. and the results will be spectacular.
Make sure you paint in a well lit area.
There is a lot of work logs on OCN to help you along....
Have fun.
Shashoots
v1ral

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can someone guide me to a good one on home depot website? +rep btw for everyone

·
Loosing Vision
1,885 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by doc2142
View Post

I have an antec 300, I want to paint it all black (figures) Can I use spray cans from home depot? or does that make it look ugly?

Can dog's pee on Fire Hydrants!
Of course. As he said you may want to look at the type of paint your going to use. Don't forget the GOOD sandpaper/s not the wally stuff..
you might try a automotive paint supplier store if you have one.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
if u can fine matt black then your good.
krylon spray paint bonds to metal so u dont need to worry about paint chipping off.

they cost about $3 a pop and i think your going to need 2 or 3 cans to finish the job.

if u can only get normal blank you can sand it down with 300grit (around there) for a nice matt finish.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er
View Post

I did it for my 900 and it worked fine. Don't get the glossy black though because its going to look fake.

Ditto!

If you're painting black, go with this: http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=415

I just found it! I layed down 4 light coats on the inside of my HAF Sides, and it looks FACTORY! No uneven covering, and no weird shiny or dull spots.
It's around $4 a can, but I still have just a little under 5/8 left after painting!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wait where can i get this at a local store... I am doing this tomorrow

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by doc2142
View Post

Wait where can i get this at a local store... I am doing this tomorrow

Home Depot has it.. Lowes would too. Wal-Mart MAY even have them.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
yup i painted the inside of my antec 900 black and it looks soo much better

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok so I am getting 2 of those cans tomorrow.

Quick question: Do i just disassemble my case and fire away? or do i need to sand or do something?

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
I recomend using self-etching primer as the first coat to give the paint something to stick to. If you dont have the bare metal cleaned well, the paint just wont stick, so thats where self-etching primer comes in.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wow this is a pain in the ass to remove those rivets.... I hope there is a way to paint with out removing them....

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
just don't remove the rivets, i panted my old case assembled and it turned out 100% better than i thought it would you just have to take your time and watch what your doing. and yes if you can afford a self-etching primer use it, it will be a much more even finish

EDIT: the case is the one in my avatar

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok this is what i am following
BTW 5-10 HOURS of drying?????

"Remember to shake the can for a good 2 minutes and then spray a little on a piece of paper for about 10 seconds. Do this for every new can you open.
It is now time to start priming. Grab your primer or self etching primer and begin applying light coats. Remember to keep the can about 6 or more inches away from the part you are painting and do smooth left and right motions when painting and priming. It is ok if you don't hit every part because you will on the next coat.

Once you are finished with the first coat of the primer on all the parts you wish to paint wait about 10-20 minutes before applying your next coat. Apply your 2nd coat. Now wait another 10-20 minutes and apply the third coat.

Step 6 | Painting

Remember to wait 10-20 minutes after applying your last coat of primer before you start painting also remember to shake the can for a good 2 minutes and then spray a little on a piece of paper for about 10 seconds. Do this for every new can you open.

Also remember to keep the can about 6 or more inches away from the part you are painting and do smooth left and right motions when painting.
Do the same procedure as you did with the primer and paint you case for three coats and wait 10-20 minutes in between coats. Also make sure to get the corners that are to reach.

Now you would wait another 10-20 minutes and repeat the same process with clear coat. You don't have to use the clear coat but it is recommended.
Now wait about 5-10 hours for the paint to dry."

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
You're looking at a few days for to actually CURE though... Keep that in mind. Don't be in such a hurry that you start assembling before the paint has fully hardened and chip it and such

• Rep+
Reactions: doc2142
1 - 20 of 63 Posts