Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi!
Well, for the first, this question is just for curiosity, nothing more.

Suppose I'm going to build a WC system.

For the radiator I choose the EK-CoolStream XE 360

For the fans that will push, I chose the Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC-2000 PWM

And for the fans that will pull, the Corsair LL120 RGB

Of course that it will be better with the same fans. But it will be worse with the corsair compared with push system only?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
First, it absolutely will not be worse to have a set of pulling fans on no matter what they are. The air flow rate a fan generates through a radiator is so much lower than it can produce with no resistance that even if the fans on the pulling side are running at a considerably lower RPM they will still contribute to increasing the airflow through the rad.

Its very much like using different pumps together. It works totally fine with different types and different speeds (within reason).
In fact using different model fans on each side of the rad can work better than using identical ones. It can avoid resonance and vibration tuning under some circumstances and lower noise.
Some fans work great in push and terrible in pull. The NB Eloop are the best example. I have combined Eloops pushing with Vardars pulling and its quieter than using one type alone.

One idea that people come up with because it can seem logical is to use static pressure focused fan on push and airflow optimised on the pull side with the thought that the push has to overcome the resistance while the pull side just has to move the air away as fast as possible. Of course in reality the pull side has to create static pressure just like the push side in order to create a vacuum/low pressure zone that increases overall airflow rate. Static pressure works in both directions.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,207 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb here and take a wild guess that you are adding the LL120s just for the lights.....

Why not just buy yourself some Phanteks Halos and put them on the Noctuas?

·
Overclocker in training
13,959 Posts
Hi,
I wouldn't bother with rgb fans
Just use rgb light strips much more versatile if you want lighting :)

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,207 Posts
Hi,
I wouldn't bother with rgb fans
Just use rgb light strips much more versatile if you want lighting /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
Exactly. If you want lights, buy lights. If you want air movement, buy fans.

·
Overclocker in training
13,959 Posts
HI,
I'm down to one rgb fan on the top/ back rear lol :D
But i have a box load of rgb fans :confused:

·
Banned
3,726 Posts
HI,
I'm down to one rgb fan on the top/ back rear lol :D
But i have a box load of rgb fans :confused:
have you considered getting some phobya fans shrouds and adding the lights you want to that?

https://www.amazon.com/Phobya-Shrou...rd_wg=XZ3mj&psc=1&refRID=FCN1KG10XFA4EF33KB9W

https://www.amazon.com/Lights-wired-leds-White-Orange/dp/B007O21Z5Q

that is what I did so that I would not need lighted fans.

the sad part here is that I did all of the lighting, but I have only turned the lights on about 4 times in the past year. most of the time, the lights are in the off position when the PC is running, because I don't sit there and stair at my PC, while I am playing a game. so there is no good reason to leave the lights on.

·
Overclocker in training
13,959 Posts
Hi,
Yes actually was just looking at some fan shrouds
3-120mm or really 360 x 120mm to add to the top of a case for some additional fan space :)
Flipping a coin for which one I will actually do
Either a new case 750D at micro center or look into a 3-120mm fan shroud :/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everybody to answer

I'm going to go out on a limb here and take a wild guess that you are adding the LL120s just for the lights.....

Why not just buy yourself some Phanteks Halos and put them on the Noctuas?
Of course I would never sacrifice performance over esthetic, and I also know better methods to have lights like light strips and other better leds fans. Except for the Phanteks Halos, Ty very much for the information

The question was really a curiosity that I had. That's why I gave the Corsair LL as an example, since there are other better fans, like the Cougars CDF or the Aerocool Shark

·
New to Overclock.net
2,492 Posts
Martinsliquidlab did testing on this but since archived on a new site may be difficult to find. We still carry a lot of mindsets over form last millenium practices but the thing is hi SP fans are really a thing of the past except in rare instances. Back in the day 30 fpi fans were common, now we see mostly 8 - 12 fpi stuff. In addition, especially w/ Intel / nVidia stuff, we are not seeing the temperature wall be the stopping block nowadays ... for the most part, when I am OCing, I am hitting voltage levels that make me skittish before I hit temp levels that I am concerned with.

Pull generally performs better up to about 1500 rpm ... push is better above 1750 rpm.

"It was very clear that when using two fans per radiator section, that the radiator intself acts as a flow spreader and provided great benefit to straightening out the air for the second fan in a push/pull configuration. Just like doubling up with a pump, there is a pressure benefit to doubling up on fans and this translates to about a 20-30% performance gain. The added fan pressure simply means and added gain in air flow and corresponding performance. None of the experimental pull/pull or push/push configurations provided any noteworthy benefit as it seams the air is simply too disturbed from the first fan to allow the second to perform properly when air is moving."

I couldn't find the article I was looking for where he addressed your issue but the search feature of the new site isn't very fruitful.

·
⤷ αC
11,240 Posts
Exactly. If you want lights, buy lights. If you want air movement, buy fans.
lol I'm a RGB Heathen that's selling wraith PRISM.

More on topic , Phanteks Halos are probably a better option for the OP. Instead of giving up performance for bling, you gain the ability to use the best fans without any downsides.

·
Registered
384 Posts
have you considered getting some phobya fans shrouds and adding the lights you want to that?

https://www.amazon.com/Phobya-Shrou...rd_wg=XZ3mj&psc=1&refRID=FCN1KG10XFA4EF33KB9W

https://www.amazon.com/Lights-wired-leds-White-Orange/dp/B007O21Z5Q

that is what I did so that I would not need lighted fans.

the sad part here is that I did all of the lighting, but I have only turned the lights on about 4 times in the past year. most of the time, the lights are in the off position when the PC is running, because I don't sit there and stair at my PC, while I am playing a game. so there is no good reason to leave the lights on.

The quality of the picture is so low i cannot see a damn thing :/
You are making a very good point though about how useless rgb is inside a computer, it's fancy for pictures and maybe if you want to throw some lights during a party at your home otherwise it is downright useless

1 - 13 of 13 Posts