Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shortly after Christmas I got the Hyper 212 EVO and mounted it so air goes bottom to top, rather than front to back. However, I wasn't aware that when sleeve-bearing fans are mounted horizontally, they make annoying clicking/grinding noises. Since I can't and won't shell out $34 for some FDB fans, I want to rotate my heatsink so it blows front to back. My question is if I can simply rotate the heatsink since I can rotate it without removing it, but I want to know if that is okay to do, or if I have to remove it, replace the paste, and put it back on.

Thanks
 

·
Fly on the wall
Joined
·
2,432 Posts
I would just remove it and re-seat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh I was nervous enough replacing the paste when I switched heatsinks, so I guess I will leave it with the noise. Is there any way to reduce it? They are really new so would adding more lubricant help at all?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonn2010 View Post

Oh I was nervous enough replacing the paste when I switched heatsinks, so I guess I will leave it with the noise. Is there any way to reduce it? They are really new so would adding more lubricant help at all?
This was your first paste and seat... it wont be your last... you can do it!
thumb.gif


Dont lube the fans, you will end up with crap all over the place
smile.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Assuming I get new fans in the future, would FDB fans be the best?

Also, I know people like the Scythe fans like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185065

But this one has the same CFM but with 20 dBA less noise! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835226045

Which would be better?

EDIT: Also, it only seems to make noise when they are at their max speed, which I think they are at by default. Is there a program I can use to maybe slow them down a bit? Also, the noise is random. Sometimes when I start my PC there is almost no annoying noise, other times I can't stand it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,512 Posts
You could totally get away with it. I take off heatsinks without reapplying goop all the time. I'm not too concerned about 2c. I would just be weary of strain on the PCB/socket pins. my 212 actually slides around on my proc, doesn't bother me none. I still load at 42c.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonn2010 View Post

EDIT: Also, it only seems to make noise when they are at their max speed, which I think they are at by default. Is there a program I can use to maybe slow them down a bit? Also, the noise is random. Sometimes when I start my PC there is almost no annoying noise, other times I can't stand it.
If you're happy with your temps, just set your CPU fan in the BIOS to run at a happy medium of 1200 RPM's.

1500 is probably grinding point. 2k is probably grinding/take off point. Mine spins at 1.1k on full load. Only fan I can hear is my top 220m that's on full blast just cause I like putting bits of paper on it and watching them fly about.
whistle.gif
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonn2010 View Post

Assuming I get new fans in the future, would FDB fans be the best?
Also, I know people like the Scythe fans like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185065
But this one has the same CFM but with 20 dBA less noise! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835226045
Which would be better?
EDIT: Also, it only seems to make noise when they are at their max speed, which I think they are at by default. Is there a program I can use to maybe slow them down a bit? Also, the noise is random. Sometimes when I start my PC there is almost no annoying noise, other times I can't stand it.
Out of those two, Id suiggest
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185065

You could slow them down by plugging them into your CPU fan header and a 12v fan header and using Speedfan to lower the RMP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think you misread what I'm talking about. I've noticed the Hyper 212 EVO and 212+ heatsinks can be easily rotated while mounted, whether that is good or bad idk, my temps are good. My question is if I could take the mounting bracket off, and rotate the heatsink 90 degrees, without lifting it up, and then reattach the bracket. Would that be fine or still create air bubbles somehow?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonn2010 View Post

I think you misread what I'm talking about. I've noticed the Hyper 212 EVO and 212+ heatsinks can be easily rotated while mounted, whether that is good or bad idk, my temps are good. My question is if I could take the mounting bracket off, and rotate the heatsink 90 degrees, without lifting it up, and then reattach the bracket. Would that be fine or still create air bubbles somehow?
It will, not enough for you to notice. Unless your temps are read in Fahrenheit.

Are you nervous/anxious about reapplying goop? If so, why? Don't like bear handing your zillion dollar parts? Forgettaaboutit!

Do it enough times, it turns into riding bike memorabilia. Soon enough you'll start putting goop and super glue on your router CPU cause you overclocked it with DD-WRT and need that VRM heatsink from the old P4 HP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I decided to go ahead and rotate it. However, when I was unscrewing the mounting bracket, it took two of the standoffs with it! That made the heatsink fall forward, so because the CPU was exposed, I decided to remove the whole thing and reapply thermal paste after cleaning it. I did that, tightly secured the backplate and standoffs, and reattached the heatsink and fans pointing front to back. I started my PC up, it worked fine, and temps are the same. About 29-31 idling, vs 39 with my Sunbeam CCF.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonn2010 View Post

Well I decided to go ahead and rotate it. However, when I was unscrewing the mounting bracket, it took two of the standoffs with it! That made the heatsink fall forward, so because the CPU was exposed, I decided to remove the whole thing and reapply thermal paste after cleaning it. I did that, tightly secured the backplate and standoffs, and reattached the heatsink and fans pointing front to back. I started my PC up, it worked fine, and temps are the same. About 29-31 idling, vs 39 with my Sunbeam CCF.
Good for you! See, the computer gods had a plan for you. all along
thumb.gif
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top