1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Mobo: Asus A8N32 SLI

GPU 1 : HD3870
GPU 2 : 9600GSO

This is so that I can use 4 monitors on my PC simultaneously.

I have the Asus A8N32 SLI board which is the SKT 939 motherboard that supports SLI with both lanes @ x16 speeds.

I understand that with XP and Win7, you can use 2 different Video cards with different drivers.

I acknowledge that I will not be doing anything Crossfire or SLI...I just want the cards to run simultaneously.

However, from my research on the web, I have no been able to clarify if both graphics cards will run in x16 if you have a capable motherboard.

Any useful help is appreciated

PS. I really wanted to get another HD3870 to Crossfire on the mobo but apparently all of the hacks for the nforce4 chipsets are unstable. With no 9600GSO in the scene ATM, I just want to make this work and hang in there

PPS. What I really wanted was a 3870X2 with the 4 DVI ports but they've discontinued 'em and I can't find any. XP

·
Registered
482 Posts
Your board can do 16x 16x so i dont see any problem with this. If you jus need multiple monitor and no gaming is need on all monitors, NM what card you install everything should work.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boulard83
View Post

Your board can do 16x 16x so i dont see any problem with this. If you jus need multiple monitor and no gaming is need on all monitors, NM what card you install everything should work.

Thanks for the quick reply.

....I wonder how I'm going to configure the monitors though...maybe the windows XP display manager?

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Why waste an entire 9600GSO (or whichever's more powerful) if it's not going to be used? Heck, a 7200GS or anything else with 2 DVI or VGA slots will allow you to run 4 monitors in just the same way. Unless you really don't want to buy any other card even for just $10

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by xd_1771
View Post

Why waste an entire 9600GSO (or whichever's more powerful) if it's not going to be used? Heck, a 7200GS or anything else with 2 DVI or VGA slots will allow you to run 4 monitors in just the same way. Unless you really don't want to buy any other card even for just $10

I have a 9600GSO and HD3870 lying around...

If you read my first post, you'd realise that this is a quick fix...

I'm just holding onto what I have now until I get either another 9600GSO or a better set of SLI cards.

·
Registered
901 Posts
You will be fine with that setup.
I have the same board and was running a 6600 + X600 for 4 monitors.
GPU-Z shows x16 if I rmb correctly.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by andynolife
View Post

You will be fine with that setup.
I have the same board and was running a 6600 + X600 for 4 monitors.
GPU-Z shows x16 if I rmb correctly.

Good to know!

Just another question but what is the difference between a pre-overclocked and normal clocked graphics card? Surely there is no point getting something like the 9600GSO XXX edition?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Any reason you need them to both run at x16? x8 won't bottleneck either of those cards

I've heard that they may use better binned chips on factory OCd cards, not sure how true that is though....

·
Registered
901 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mania_maniac View Post
Good to know!

Just another question but what is the difference between a pre-overclocked and normal clocked graphics card? Surely there is no point getting something like the 9600GSO XXX edition?
Possibly better binned chips, which I have seen many claim XXX edition are better binned. But most importantly trouble free overclocked performance and you are more likely to be RMA'd if you fried the chips.

Personally, I would like to overclock the regular version and get the best performance for less money. But might not be always so lucky everytime, I had a 5850 and oc'd to get 1G core stable for weeks and one day it just can't get that high anymore. So well, it's your choice.

Btw if I'm not mistaken, your A8N32 only runs at X16 PCIe 1.0 or 1.1, something like a X8 PCIe 2.0,but still you won't come anywhere close to the max. bandwidth, just for your info and no worrys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts