Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use the configurators and no ram site recommends anything higher than 3200. Suggestions on what would be the right higher ram for my board?

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Now i have always wondered the same thing, but i thought about it and what would you really gain besides keeping that 1:1 ratio. since the boards are rated to run 184 pin pc3200 sticks i always thought that if you had lets say a 184 pin pc3500 stick it would stil work as it is 184 pin and only operates just a little above the pc3200 stick.

·
Premium Member
4,325 Posts
That is generally the only benefit of running higher rated RAM. If you keep it at a speed lower than the rated there is also the possibility of tightening up the latencies.

·
Registered
886 Posts
The idea is: If you buy faster RAM, for the sake of argument, runs at 225Mhz. But you install it on your motherboard, when your FSB happens to be 200Mhz. So the RAM will also run at 200Mhz. But when you overclock your FSB at 1:1 with your RAM, the only limiting factor will be how good the motherboard is, and the cpu, and cooling. So you have eliminated the RAM as a factor that could go wrong, because it should run at 225 anyway. So if you set your FSB to 215, the RAM will be working slower than it's stock speeds, so it will be amazingly stable. Also like the bloke above says, you can tighten your timings up.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Yes, but then the speed of your RAM will not increase (Well actually it could do depending on the divider, and the FSB value). Which would not give an extra little performance boost. (Kind of pointless unless your doing benchmarks)

·
Registered
886 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I just read an article on G.skill ram,i cant remember the site. someone did a test with g.skill,ocz,corsair and g.skill was very impressive and i believe it was 2x1g and the one you have posted with lose timing. they were saying they had samsung chip. i was so impurest I'm thinking of ordering some,i want to upgrade because i can.
U know i think it was EVGA.com site

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry

I just read an article on G.skill ram,i cant remember the site. someone did a test with g.skill,ocz,corsair and g.skill was very impressive and i believe it was 2x1g and the one you have posted with lose timing. they were saying they had samsung chip. i was so impurest I'm thinking of ordering some,i want to upgrade because i can.
U know i think it was EVGA.com site

That stuff was probably the DDR 400 with CAS1.5 timings

1 - 14 of 14 Posts