Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Blessed to Serve
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As long as they have the same memory of course.
If so, what would be the advantages and disadvantages of going that route?

·
Blessed to Serve
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is weird! I had an EVGA GTX 580 and a Zotac GTX 580 back a couple years, and they worked fine!

So if I went EVGA, would different clock speeds and editions of the GTX 970 make a difference?

What is EVGA's marketing strategy here really? With such odd editions and variations....

·
Retired but not dead!
7,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigceeloc View Post

That is weird! I had an EVGA GTX 580 and a Zotac GTX 580 back a couple years, and they worked fine!

So if I went EVGA, would different clock speeds and editions of the GTX 970 make a difference?

What is EVGA's marketing strategy here really? With such odd editions and variations....
If you get two different evga cards, they will default to the clock of the lower card.

That's how it worked with mine.

EVGA does have a lot of variations indeed. They are all basically the same with different clock speeds though.

If you haven't bought anything yet, I'd hang on to see what's going to be unveiled soon for new cards.

·
Blessed to Serve
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have a gtx 970 ssc already, so perhaps might be a good time to buy as folks will be thinking about upgrading!

·
Premium Member
6,636 Posts

·
Blessed to Serve
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah yes, I was going to link to that faq too! Just saw that and that seems to clear it up for now. It seems to be rather odd to even see such a chart, when a couple generations ago this kind of thing wasn't an issue..

·
Blessed to Serve
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I bought two GTX 970 SSCs thinking that they were compatible according to that evga faq linked above. However, they are not! One is column 2 of the faq linked above, and one is in column 3, even thought they are both SSC's! I have submitted a support request to evga to see if they can help me out.

·
Premium Member
5,380 Posts
I saw something similar to this on eVGA forums, but no one really gave an explaination. You can SLI reference/reference (1974-kr), ACX 2.0/ACX.2.0(2974-KR(SC), 3979-KB(SSC), 2978-KR(FTW), ACX 2.0+(3975-KR(SSC+), 3979-KF(SSC+), 3978-KR(FTW+). You could try googling a patch called DifferentSLI.

·
Blessed to Serve
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any more info on that DifferentSLI patch? Is it pretty much some kind of driver hack?

·
....X....
5,071 Posts
Quote:

Any more info on that DifferentSLI patch? Is it pretty much some kind of driver hack?
As i know Evga change something from the bios on ID section for some gtx 970 model.. so they wont SLI with other model..

Here is a list for the card,s wont sli with other model's..

SSC & SSC + & FTW & FTW + .. if you own any of them then you need same model for SLI..

·
Premium Member
5,380 Posts
If you call evga, they will work with you to get the proper model to match what you already have

·
Blessed to Serve
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh, and thanks mcg75 for the feedback on DifferentSLI, but I just have the hankering to be right with it, ya know?

·
Retired but not dead!
7,435 Posts
Quote:

Oh, and thanks mcg75 for the feedback on DifferentSLI, but I just have the hankering to be right with it, ya know?
I agree 100%. I used it and didn't care for the fact that Windows has to be in test mode for it to work.

I sold the offending card and bought a match that would work.

·
Blessed to Serve
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I was thinking of going that route. I was even going to make a post in the for sale area for trading for another 970, but I'm glad EVGA is helping me out!

Just sent out the RMA today, so we'll see how it goes.
smile.gif

1 - 18 of 18 Posts