Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkoXan View Post

your system is up to it but your internet may not, when streaming it's more about how many people are viewing not just resolution of the stream.
That shouldn't matter with twitch, though, because they take your stream and distribute it to the viewers. The viewers are not actually connecting to you directly.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx-jose View Post

best way is to try it and monitor your stream
how do I do that and is there ways I can increase my upload speed?

also I am using wireless internet.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjellop View Post

stream your game (it's upload anyway) and get a laptop and watch your stream (download)

and yes there is way to increase you upload speed...pay your ISP more money lol

·
Registered
232 Posts
Ahh these answer are a little wild, your system is good enough to stream but like someone else said it depends on your connection. If you wanna stream 480p you'll need around a 1Mbp/s Upload speed and for 720 - 1080p you'll need around 5Mbp/s to have a nice HD stream with no hickups.

Use Xsplit or Wirecast, and if you need help with setting it up don't be afraid to ask, i've livestreamed tons before and it can be a pain to set up.
I've seen people with 10Mbp/s up speeds with crappy looking streams and other with as low as 3M looking really awesome.

Just go on speedtest.net and see what your upload is. =)

·
I might have tacos tonite
22,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjellop View Post

You have to pay your ISP more money to increase your upload speed.

I can just barely stream 480p off youtube with a 1.5mb connection, so I would imagine you can stream around 480p too.

·
Graphic Designer
1,053 Posts
As for increasing you internet speeds first try not using wifi or just get a new ISP or package with your current ISP.

·
Premium Member
6,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy9000 View Post

You have to pay your ISP more money to increase your upload speed.

I can just barely stream 480p off youtube with a 1.5mb connection, so I would imagine you can stream around 480p too.
That's odd. I'm pretty sure I have watched 720p off youtube on a 1Mb connection without issues
thinking.gif
Then again there could be other bottlenecks in the route the stream is taking like described in this thread http://www.overclock.net/t/1413928/ars-why-youtube-buffers-the-secret-deals-that-make-and-break-online-video

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
OP is talking about uploading a twitch stream. You'll want at least a stable 3mb upload to get good quality, otherwise it won't be worth it. Only way is to upgrade your internet plan.

·
Premium Member
6,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGroove View Post

OP is talking about uploading a twitch stream. You'll want at least a stable 3mb upload to get good quality, otherwise it won't be worth it. Only way is to upgrade your internet plan.
Well yeah but like someone mentioned with twitch you are only uploading to the servers and they mirror your stream out to the viewers. But you might be right as I don't know what type of compression is used with twitch.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
You can tailor your streaming program to fit your upload, but if you only get a stable 1mb upload you won't be able to do 720p without lowering the bit rate. That would give you poor quality and lots of pixelation with motion.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My friend streams twitch and Youtube and was in the same trouble last year when he started because his internet upload speed was very low.
From my experience i can tell you now you need atleast 3 Mb/s - 4.5 Mbs to stream good 720P and that speed is to twitch servers not your local speed test point. For 1080p streaming you need almost double the speeds about 6Mb/s - 9Mb/s. And that is just to stream so you better get a better connection since you most likely are going to play something through multiplayer which will require some bandwidth also.

Also take a look at this
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgrreMlF5qoRdGVXTlRmUzNlUGUxc2lvTjdTT240NWc#gid=0

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Like others have said, you system is up to par for streaming but your connection is a bit low. You mentioned streaming at low resolutions like 420p or 580p, I think you'll be fine with that but your stream will be low quality with big pixels. What are you planning on streaming?

EDIT: I stream on twitch via xsplit but thanks to "IAMDAY" I'll be checking the link he provided.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
My internet connection
It's not too bad but it gets destroyed when i try 5000+ bitrate on 1080p.WIth my settings,i use 3000/3500 in OBS,quality 8.CPU preset - fast for a decent quality-720p 60fps or 1080p 30fps

·
Graphic Designer
1,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatakai All View Post

Like others have said, you system is up to par for streaming but your connection is a bit low. You mentioned streaming at low resolutions like 420p or 580p, I think you'll be fine with that but your stream will be low quality with big pixels. What are you planning on streaming?

EDIT: I stream on twitch via xsplit but thanks to "IAMDAY" I'll be checking the link he provided.
thumb.gif
OBS is great and you can choose everything. Mine is customized to my liking and I love it. Not to mention FREE
thumb.gif

1 - 20 of 22 Posts