Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so i fineally got my 120 gig drive back and i have set as fat 32 so i can use it with my box and other windows systems.. i backed up 40 gig which was ntfs i am currently using a 10 gig drive for my system.. what i would like to do is swap the 10 for the 40 gig.. more space and faster drive what i dont want to do is reinstall my distro.. i have tons of stuff i configured myself and dont really wanna have to try and figure out how to do it again.. so is this possible.. to do.. can i mirror my drive onto the 40 swap it out and be good to go.. if so how would i go about doing this

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
Most hard drive manufacturers provide tools that will accomplish just this. If the HDD did not come with a CD, you can usually download the software from the manufacturer's website. Once you boot from the CD, selected Setup a New Drive. It will ask you how you want to partition it, if at all, and if you want to add it as a storage drive or a new boot drive. If you select it as a new boot drive, it'll mirror the contents of the current boot drive. I've done this several times, always with good success.

·
Registered
574 Posts
It should still work.. it is just transferring data.

EDIT: It might give a 10gb partition on the new drive, and leave 30 unallocated.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
I would think so since Taeric said it boots off the CD.

·
Premium Member
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so no one knows for sure.. i mean linux is picky about its hardware setups..

·
Premium Member
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i guess it is going to be that easy.. and after searching around i found the perfect solution for my problems i think i wont know till everything is done.. but linux has a program called PARTIMAGE which makes images of your partitions use of this in combo with the ubuntu live cd and a usbdrive should make things pretty smooth and i dont have to worrie about getting stuck with a 10 gig spot on a 40 gig drive and having to add the free space back to it.. i just have to make sure i have enough space on each partition and it will fill it all back up and leave the left overs to play with

1 - 7 of 7 Posts