Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
its different for every card, if people knew "for sure "the ycould buy a specif card and unlock it, then nvidia or ati would have sold them as the full version card in this case its a 6800GS, if it was able to unlock easily they would havesolt it as a 6800u. So it just depends on each card, so there is a chance it will unlock and a chance it wont.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
O i see, i was just wondering because it said on one of the reviews for another card that they could unlock it to 16 pipelines and my tech freind told me that this was the best 6800gs i was going to get for this price, does anyone disagree?
again..very much appreciated

·
Registered
208 Posts
if someone was able to unlock it then thats even just a little better chance of you unlocking yours
so i say go for it if you need a decent card, you can always sel lit later if your not happy with it.

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucid

there is never a 100% gurantee

I've heard that, but everyone that I have heard of that has flashed to a 6800GT bios has said they had complete success...

The AGP 6800GS has great potential, even without the unlock. with a good cooler, you could probably get it to about 540/1.25

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
your not going to get any unlock out of that card on the PCI-E version, this is due to the GPU core, and I have tried myself without luck, the 6800 does unlock in AGP version I'm not sure about the 6800GS AGP

·
Banned
8,062 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by el7145

your not going to get any unlock out of that card on the PCI-E version, this is due to the GPU core, and I have tried myself without luck, the 6800 does unlock in AGP version I'm not sure about the 6800GS AGP

Thank you lol.

Ok.

The 6800GS PCI-E is built around a totally revised core. It only has 12 pipelines and 5 vertex, there physically isnt anything left on it. On the up side, its also clocked enough to compensate for the lack of pipes and overclock usually over 500/1100.

The 6800GS AGP is built around the old 6800GT core, thus it has 16/6, but is sold at 12/5. Most of the time 16/6 is unlockable without trouble though.

·
Banned
8,062 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Some_Idiot2

PCI-E GS's DO NOT UNLOCK, ONLY AGP GS'S, AGP ONES WILL unlock 99.9999999999999999% of the time with a 1.4V custom BIOS.

Well that was rather forceful lol

·
Banned
8,062 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by suthernkid

change of plan i ordered the pci-express 6800gs from evga can unlock that one anybody think?

No. You cant unlock ANY PCI-E 6800GS. It doesnt even have the same core as the 6800GT and the GPU itself is smaller because it doesnt have any thing to unlock. Just overclock it past 500/1100 and youll be happy.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok then lol but thank you anyways..but i should be able to do that woud anyone reccomend getting a 3rd party cooler or sticking with stock?

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by suthernkid

ok then lol but thank you anyways..but i should be able to do that woud anyone reccomend getting a 3rd party cooler or sticking with stock?

Zalman VF-700cu is the best..In my opinion.. They are on newegg for fairly cheap.. Though, unless your planing on doing some serious OCing, I would stick with stock...

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
Depends on what version of the card you ordered. There is a regular version, and a higher clocked, copper heatsinked version. If you got the latter, there's no real need to get a custom heat sink, it's good enough already.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.