Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
@GSKILL SUPPORT,

As the title says.

When using the timings for the SR 3200MHz CL14 kit, I get errors on TM5. And I am talking 25 cycle test, not 3 cycle.
But if I use the 3600MHz CL16 DR timings on the 3200MHz CL14 SR kit, I get no errors. I wonder why is that.

Now I am using the 3600MHz CL16 DR timings on my 3200MHz SR CL14 kit.
The timings are almost similar.
The imported XMP info differs slightly. That supposed to be obvious.
The difference in timings are marked in red blocks.
The only screw factor is when I input tRRDS 3, and reboot into windows, Zen Timings show tRRDS 4.

Now, the question is, can I use 3600MHz CL16 DR (3800/1900) RAM Calculator Timings on my 3200MHz CL14 SR without any negative effect?
Product Rectangle Azure Slope Font

·
Robotic Chemist
4,302 Posts
Yes, you can use the timings for other memory without ill effects, as long as it is stable. Or manually tune the timings yourself. The calculator is a starting point and the settings it recommends are really just some guy's recommendation for that memory, not special "correct" timings (a knowledgeable guy for sure, but it is not definitive).

What I believe are the important differences:

Gear Down mode should be enabled.
tWRRD of 1 is trouble, 4 makes a lot more sense.
tRRDS is limited to 4 by the motherboard, set tFAW to 16 (4x tRRDS).

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, you can use the timings for other memory without ill effects, as long as it is stable. Or manually tune the timings yourself. The calculator is a starting point and the settings it recommends are really just some guy's recommendation for that memory, not special "correct" timings (a knowledgeable guy for sure, but it is not definitive).

What I believe are the important differences:

Gear Down mode should be enabled.
tWRRD of 1 is trouble, 4 makes a lot more sense.
tRRDS is limited to 4 by the motherboard, set tFAW to 16 (4x tRRDS).
Thanks for the reply.

Let me make this clear. I have ran both kits with better and tighter timings than what the Calculator suggests.
Therefore the question is not about how can I improve my timings.
But you have answered my question in this thread. And its also stable as it is.
And your suggestions make sense.
I just wonder what @GSKILL SUPPORT have to say.

I ran AIDA and here are the results, as it is without your suggestions:

Font Electronic device Multimedia Software Electric blue

·
Registered
150 Posts
Asmodian covered all the details, the results are spot on. Did you happen to try DDR4-4000? May be capable of a little more with those values

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Asmodian covered all the details, the results are spot on. Did you happen to try DDR4-4000? May be capable of a little more with those values
I am not trying to get better timings. I have better timing for both kits.
My initial question was, can I use 3600MHz CL16 DR (3800/1900) RAM Calculator Timings on my 3200MHz CL14 SR without any negative effect?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I am not trying to get better timings. I have better timing for both kits.
My initial question was, can I use 3600MHz CL16 DR (3800/1900) RAM Calculator Timings on my 3200MHz CL14 SR without any negative effect?
Yes, absolutely, in any case it is a matter of finding the combination of timings that are stable and perform best. Chip characteristics are same with these two kits so attempting the different timings is no problem at all and will not have any negative effects.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I've never had any success using that tool with any of my ram kits. Best to start from scratch. Find a safe baseline and tune from there

1 - 8 of 8 Posts