Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a DVI-D SINGLE link cable, not dual link. From what I understand the only difference would be limited hz output? So if I ever want to go from 60hz to 144 I'd need a dual-link cable.

Is this correct? and is this all there is? It wouldn't hold back my GTX 1060 in any way would it?

I'm only running at 1080p and have been using the cable for my 750ti for years now. But since I upgraded to the 1060 I just wanted to make sure

Thanks!

·
RIP OCN 2018
3,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by defenderDX9er View Post

I have a DVI-D SINGLE link cable, not dual link. From what I understand the only difference would be limited hz output? So if I ever want to go from 60hz to 144 I'd need a dual-link cable.

Is this correct? and is this all there is? It wouldn't hold back my GTX 1060 in any way would it?

Thanks!
It should work - but bear in mind that single vs dual matters in terms of bandwidth, not just refresh rate. This means resolution x color dept x refresh rate (meaning: the amount of data that needs to be transferred).

What resolution are you running? 1080p?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xioros View Post

It should work - but bear in mind that single vs dual matters in terms of bandwidth, not just refresh rate. This means resolution x color dept x refresh rate (meaning: the amount of data that needs to be transferred).

Thanks for the reply. I edited my post after reading your response to help for future reference if that answers your question.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

also I believe yes it is compatible but I just wanted to be sure there wouldn't be any loss or disadvantage in any sort of way other than limitations for future upgrades monitor-wise

·
RIP OCN 2018
3,119 Posts
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the reply. I edited my post after reading your response to help for future reference if that answers your question.
Quote:

Quote:

also I believe yes it is compatible but I just wanted to be sure there wouldn't be any loss or disadvantage in any sort of way other than limitations for future upgrades monitor-wise
Yes, this would work. But if your monitor supports HDMI, DisplayPort or Dual Link DVI, you can use those connections to get the higher refresh rate. If your display supports higher than 60 Hz, I highly recommend buying a new cable to utilize it!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Yes, this would work. But if your monitor supports HDMI, DisplayPort or Dual Link DVI, you can use those connections to get the higher refresh rate. If your display supports higher than 60 Hz, I highly recommend buying a new cable to utilize it!
yeah it's only a 60hz monitor. would i notice any difference just using a display port instead on it?

·
RIP OCN 2018
3,119 Posts
Quote:

Quote:

yeah it's only a 60hz monitor. would i notice any difference just using a display port instead on it?
Oh. Then I misinterpreted your question. It implied that you were running a high refresh display with a cable insufficient to properly operate it. No worries - if you buy a new display that supports a high refresh rate, it will come with a new cable!

And there is no difference between any digital format (Displayport, DVI, HDMI, ...) in terms of "quality" as long as they have sufficient bandwidth for the data to be transmitted. In this case, DVI is just fine
thumb.gif

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Oh. Then I misinterpreted your question. It implied that you were running a high refresh display with a cable insufficient to properly operate it. No worries - if you buy a new display that supports a high refresh rate, it will come with a new cable!

And there is no difference between any digital format (Displayport, DVI, HDMI, ...) in terms of "quality" as long as they have sufficient bandwidth for the data to be transmitted. In this case, DVI is just fine
thumb.gif
nice man, thanks. good to know a new 144hz monitor would automatically come with the right cable.

·
Loosing Vision
1,892 Posts
Quote:

nice man, thanks. good to know a new 144hz monitor would automatically come with the right cable.
Some do come with a cheap cable but this is how they make money off the consumer as well. Also they can't guess the length one needs either so if you buy one its best.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts