Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so today we got my dads averatec laptop back it was going to cost quite a bit ti repair so we decided not to i attempted to dismantle it without much luck but i got the 2gb ddr2-667 ram out and also its seagate 100gb hard drive and I was wondering if i could add it to my sig rig.

The drive is really small so I don't know where i would put it and i would also have to go and buy another sata cable

·
Premium Member
7,331 Posts
If sata - then should be easy - plug it in and it will work sort thing with the HDD - i would assume the same for the disk drive - unless it has a propriety adapter.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea the drive has sata connectors but it also has one of those floppy drive power ones

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well the drive has the normal sata power connector too so which one should I use and also what should i use to wipe the drive

oh it is it possible to connect it to my windows 7 partition and what free partitioning software should i use?

·
Premium Member
7,331 Posts
if the same as above - the extra 4 pins are jumpers - DO NOT PLUG IN A POWER CONNECTOR TO THAT /caps

By connect you mean extened the W7 partition onto it?
If so its possible - but unreliable...

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
sata laptop and sata desktop (2.5" and 3.5") have the same connectors.... u shouldn't be hooking a floppy power to anything but a floppy!!!

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
You can do it i have done it before with my lappy to get some files off it (quicker then network transfer). However remember that most laptop hard drivers are only 5400 rpm instead of the regular 7200 rpm that come in your usual desktop hard drive.

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrAMD_Fan View Post
sata laptop and sata desktop (2.5" and 3.5") have the same connectors.... u shouldn't be hooking a floppy power to anything but a floppy!!!
While you are correct about the jumpers, you are not about the power cable.

That uses a floppy power cable.

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by b-roca View Post
so today we got my dads averatec laptop back it was going to cost quite a bit ti repair so we decided not to i attempted to dismantle it without much luck but i got the 2gb ddr2-667 ram out and also its seagate 100gb hard drive and I was wondering if i could add it to my sig rig.

The drive is really small so I don't know where i would put it and i would also have to go and buy another sata cable
Yes you can add it, you just need to either buy an adapter to fit it in the larger space or jury rig a solution.

Yes, some devices besides floppies use the "floppy power connector", heck I've seen AGP video cards that used them. But NO sata drive that I've ever seen uses one.

This reminds me, once a customer came in with a "broken" computer, he had plugged his floppy power connector into his hard drive's jumpers! HAHAHA, that one was classic.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mygaffer
View Post

Yes you can add it, you just need to either buy an adapter to fit it in the larger space or jury rig a solution.

Yes, some devices besides floppies use the "floppy power connector", heck I've seen AGP video cards that used them. But NO sata drive that I've ever seen uses one.

This reminds me, once a customer came in with a "broken" computer, he had plugged his floppy power connector into his hard drive's jumpers! HAHAHA, that one was classic.

Yea I can see why that could happen because when i looked at the drive those pins reminded me about the floppy power connector coming of my psu but I wasn't going to try it without advise.

What I'm looking to do is extend my windows 7 partition it only has 7gb left on the windows 7 side but is it going to be noticeably slower on the laptop drive?

and is it possible to like make the windows 7 partition and the laptop drive seem like they are one drive and what software should I use?
and what software should i use to wipe the laptop drive?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
If they are different sizes and speeds, then raid is a bad idea. Just coennct it and use it as a storage drive, you can install programs on it if you want. Just install it and use it as a storage drive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts