Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can i use bookshelf speakers for center speakers
I have Klipsch R41M 50-Watt Bookshelf Speaker and want to use one of them as a center channel and not sure if it work

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
22,578 Posts
yep.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I put them side ways will still work?
And also I have it in pair can I combine 2 of them side by side In the centre and use them as one speaker
This is the model Klipsch R41M 50-Watt Bookshelf Speaker

·
Bench, Dead, Squat
418 Posts
Depending on the AV receiver you might have the Bi-Amp option for the center channel, that would power both speakers at the same time and would have their own outputs. If you don't have a Bi-Amped center channel, you could I guess, double up on the speaker cable and combine the negative and positive ends of both cables and squeeze them all into the single center channel outputs on the receiver. The latter is pretty jank and probably wouldn't be good for both the receiver and the speakers long term. Probably best to stick with the single speaker as your center.

·
professional curmudgeon
10,573 Posts
And also I have it in pair can I combine 2 of them side by side In the centre and use them as one speaker
you can do anything you want as long as you mind the ohms and RMS of both the speaker(s) and amp.

https://www.themasterswitch.com/how-to-match-speakers-and-amps

E: hold it, thats self powered? all you need is the signal (assuming line level input), you're good to go.
E: never mind reading fail on the self powered. :eek:

·
Graphics Junkie
3,681 Posts
Why wouldn't it work? There is no technical difference between a center speaker and a side speaker. Generally a center speaker will have two speakers and a tweeter and side speakers usually have one speaker and a tweeter, but this is not a rule, just a generalization.

·
Overclocking since 1998
931 Posts
General advice is that you want the midrange and high end of your L & R speakers to match your center speaker. Low end doesn't matter as much. Using the same model bookshelf speaker for L, C and R is actually an ideal setup. As voices move across the sound stage, it will sound more realistic with matching speakers. Turning the center on its side, while the L & R speakers are upright will cause a slight different in sound, but most will not notice a difference, mostly when sitting off center.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Any reason you want to do that?

I mean, as stated, you can do anything you want, buuuut if you don't have a bi-amped center channel on your AVR (as stated) you will run into issues with wiring where you either halve the resistance or double it; two 8ohm speakers wired together would either be a 4ohm load (not the worst, but I would not do this unless you know for a fact the speakers and your avr can handle it [most likely not] or 16ohms (probably not going to work, but if it did, it likely would not be loud enough).

You can put one sideways no problem, so I would just stick with that. If you want both there (for aesthetic purposes), I'd just leave it not hooked up. Sure, doubling the speaker could make it louder (at the same AVR level), but you can also just turn up the AVR more/raise the center channel level. If you are concerned about volume, I'd just look for a more sensitive speaker (increased sensitivity = less power to get a certain volume; most klipsches are pretty sensitive, so you can always test it to see if just one is loud enough).

·
I can count to potato
1,046 Posts
Yea a speaker is a speaker... You can use one as a center channel and you can turn them sideways.

If you want to run both and your receiver would need to be able to handle the Ohm load of running them. If they are each 8 Ohm and you wired them in series, it would present a 16 Ohm load to the receiver. In parallel, it would be a 4 Ohm load.

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
Actually there are issues with placing the speaker sideways, mainly involving the crossover between the tweeter and the woofer: http://www.itsharryclarke.com/blog/studio-monitors-horizontal-or-vertical
And this is exactly why all modern speakers have the tweeter and woofer in a vertical line instead of horizontal. And the typical center speakers have a weird woofer-tweeter-woofer setup to bypass the crossover issue of horizontally aligned speakers.

Some vintage speakers have the horizontal alignment on tweeter and woofer, and that is seen as a critical design flaw according to the modern audio science. A prime example of this is the Finnish Salora KS330 from 1976.

BUT! If you can make sure the speaker tweeter is directed towards the listener then there aren't any issues with using a normal vertically-designed speaker in horizontal alignment. It's just that if you move sideways (a wide sofa for example) the sound quality will most likely suffer as the frequency response gets wonky around the crossover.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have this reciever
Onkyo TX-NR797 9.2 Channel 4K Ultra HD Network AV Receiver
Can it do it?
I'm really new to home system no idea what iam doing

·
professional curmudgeon
10,573 Posts
wow. i guess no one has operated a line array . . . see those hanging huge speaker at concerts. all those tweeters and cones are parallel in the same cabinet. its Z depth of the drivers that matters unless you like the delay . .

·
professional curmudgeon
10,573 Posts
don't worry about it. if you think it sounds like crap than turn it upright. simple. what you listen to and the surrounding environment (hard/soft surfaces) matters more.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So can I combined both speaker because I have 2 of klipsch r41mb speaker and if u combined 2 wires and use the centre channel out put from av reciever will it be safe to do? And sound will be fine too?

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
So can I combined both speaker because I have 2 of klipsch r41mb speaker and if u combined 2 wires and use the centre channel out put from av reciever will it be safe to do? And sound will be fine too?
1. If the speaker impedance is fine for the receiver there won't be any issues with the speaker working and doing its job. Plus-pole to plus-pole and minus-pole to minus-pole, it's as simple as that.

2. Horizontal placement of vertical-designed speaker will have issues if you don't aim the speaker properly towards the listening spot.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If the speaker impedance is fine for the receiver there won't be any issues with the speaker working and doing its job. Plus-pole to plus-pole and minus-pole to minus-pole, it's as simple as that. 
Can you please tell me how do I check and how i do it ?

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
22,578 Posts
name/model of receiver -> google -> specs

name/model of speakers -> google -> specs

compare the two.

you don't need to match them, if your receiver says 4-8 ohm then anything between 4 - 8 is fine.

I've never tried to drive anything more than 2.1 system but I'd imagine it'd probably be best to match impedance of all your speakers so the center channel isn't either way louder or quieter than the others, but wait for someone to chime in because it might not even be an issue if it's controlled separately.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My speakers are 8 ohms
And also the reciever has 8 ohms out for channel
So I was worries if I combine two 8 ohms and use the reciever out put will it cause any problem for reciever?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts