Overclock.net banner

can i use bookshelf speakers for center speakers

12532 Views 26 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  blued
can i use bookshelf speakers for center speakers
I have Klipsch R41M 50-Watt Bookshelf Speaker and want to use one of them as a center channel and not sure if it work
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Actually there are issues with placing the speaker sideways, mainly involving the crossover between the tweeter and the woofer: http://www.itsharryclarke.com/blog/studio-monitors-horizontal-or-vertical
And this is exactly why all modern speakers have the tweeter and woofer in a vertical line instead of horizontal. And the typical center speakers have a weird woofer-tweeter-woofer setup to bypass the crossover issue of horizontally aligned speakers.

Some vintage speakers have the horizontal alignment on tweeter and woofer, and that is seen as a critical design flaw according to the modern audio science. A prime example of this is the Finnish Salora KS330 from 1976.

BUT! If you can make sure the speaker tweeter is directed towards the listener then there aren't any issues with using a normal vertically-designed speaker in horizontal alignment. It's just that if you move sideways (a wide sofa for example) the sound quality will most likely suffer as the frequency response gets wonky around the crossover.

· Premium Member
2,912 Posts
So can I combined both speaker because I have 2 of klipsch r41mb speaker and if u combined 2 wires and use the centre channel out put from av reciever will it be safe to do? And sound will be fine too?
1. If the speaker impedance is fine for the receiver there won't be any issues with the speaker working and doing its job. Plus-pole to plus-pole and minus-pole to minus-pole, it's as simple as that.

2. Horizontal placement of vertical-designed speaker will have issues if you don't aim the speaker properly towards the listening spot.

· Premium Member
2,912 Posts
My speakers are 8 ohms
And also the reciever has 8 ohms out for channel
So I was worries if I combine two 8 ohms and use the reciever out put will it cause any problem for reciever?
With 2x 8ohm speakers in parallel you are going to get 4ohm impedance. Worst case scenario is the overheating of the receiver when the load impedance is too small. Just use one speaker instead of two.
Of course if the receiver has support for 4ohm speakers then it's fine to go parallel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.