Overclock.net banner

can i use bookshelf speakers for center speakers

12274 26
can i use bookshelf speakers for center speakers
I have Klipsch R41M 50-Watt Bookshelf Speaker and want to use one of them as a center channel and not sure if it work
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
My speakers are 8 ohms
And also the reciever has 8 ohms out for channel
So I was worries if I combine two 8 ohms and use the reciever out put will it cause any problem for reciever?
With 2x 8ohm speakers in parallel you are going to get 4ohm impedance. Worst case scenario is the overheating of the receiver when the load impedance is too small. Just use one speaker instead of two.
Of course if the receiver has support for 4ohm speakers then it's fine to go parallel.

·
Bench, Dead, Squat
457 Posts
Just checked your AVR's manual, looks like you can only Bi-AMP left and right front. Guess parallel is your only way to go if you wanted to use two, but if I were you I would stick with the one to be safe.

·
Registered
454 Posts
If you are going to use a bookshelf as a center channel, it should not be placed sideways. Typically speakers are designed for optimal horizontal dispersion, where people at the right or left of the listening area get as good listening experience as those in the sweet spot. If the speaker is placed sideway, the dispersion gets shifted to the vertical plane which is not what you want. Even more so for Klipsch with their horn wave guide that further minimizes vertical dispersion and accentuates horizontal dispersion, which would exacerbate the problem if sideways. Best to get a dedicated center ch speaker.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.