Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious if this is possible, seems like a really good idea and prolly cheaper than some of the WC tubing out there too, as an added bonus extra cooling and no kinking:)

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
It probably would dissipate heat better, but in no way would it be user friendly and in no way would it be cheap.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somenamehere;12047145
I'm sure its possible with some fittings and soldering them in. No way it would be cheaper than regular tubing.
Possible but not very practical IMO. Once installed, if you needed to take it all out to, lets say, replace the mobo or something... a big PITA. Additionally, would be a pain to see if you had bubbles in the system also. See through tubing is a big help in this respect.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you can get a roll of tubing for like $9, some of the WC tubing is over $2 a foot and then you also have antikink if you need that or not too

wouldn't the copper tubing work with compression fittings? wasn't that what compression fittings were made for?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SplashScreen;12047187
you can get a roll of tubing for like $9, some of the WC tubing is over $2 a foot and then you also have antikink if you need that or not too

wouldn't the copper tubing work with compression fittings? wasn't that what compression fittings were made for?
wcing tubing has plastic and is flexible so they stretch or get squished for a airtight seal. Copper is alot harder than soft plastic so you can't just use fittings to make it a airtight seal

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i already know how to bend the tubing you jsut fill it with salt or sand, we just gotta figuer out what connectors and how to do that part is all, as for the pipes getting to hot that could be a concern, but with the pipe being stiff would be a good thing all that would be needed is to use cable ties to make sure no wires touch it

oh and as for bubbles we could just add in one clear line going from the rad to the pump or something like that i imagine right

·
The Computer Guy
6,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SplashScreen;12047094
just curious if this is possible, seems like a really good idea and prolly cheaper than some of the WC tubing out there too, as an added bonus extra cooling and no kinking:)
Yes,It could be done like everyone said above,But you would have to get a small tubing bending kit and tubing cutters,And if your gonna use fitting(Then you would have to buy them).Also if soldering,You have to be very good.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
It wouldn't be worth the hassle in the log run, to be honest. Tubing is pretty damn cheap and I imagine copper piping would be much harder to implement into a computer case.

Not to mention the copper oxidising, making the water turn water blocks etc green. Then you would have to modify fittings. It'd probably turn out to be much more of a hassle considering it'd be much easier to spend a few more bucks on some regular water cooling tubing.

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,456 Posts
In the end when all of your work is done itll be worth looking at. At least for me anyway. Please Please do it for me! I would love to see someone actually attempt this for water cooling.

In no way cheaper or easier but with enough time and money it will look the best by far IMO. I cant get enough copper. Dont forget to polish the heck out of it.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
im a plumber i say stay away from copper. its going to be hard to make those sharp bends, it will look like a mess when your done. the fitting your showing are flared.
if you realy want to do it take a look at these stainless steel flex tubing.http://www.plumbingsupply.com/flexes.html#dishwasher

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,456 Posts
You are soon to become my hero

Not you Valtopps! dont say such things!
frown.gif
lol again, with time anything can be done well/right.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yah i know there flared which means i won't have to solder, the only question is the seal with the blocks and such, which a little gasket should fix

and i don't plan to make any really sharp bends, my rad is most likely going to end up ontop of my case, i don't really see any drastic turns that will be needed for a cpu loop

1 - 20 of 45 Posts