Overclock.net banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, I have an Alienware 15R2 laptop, it has a built in lightning port in the body of the laptop. I also have an late 2016 IMAC 27inch 5K. I enjoy photo editing on both machines but neither is perfect. The Alienware is lighting fast but the screen sucks, the IMAC has a fantastic screen but is very slow when using lightroom CC in particular. I was wondering if I buy a lightning bolt cable, can I run the IMAC strictly as a screen and use the Alienware 15R2 as the OS that runs programs like lightroom, PS, and photomatix? If the answer is yes, how do I do it? Thank you for your time
Digitronical

· Network Architect
2,801 Posts
Hi,

I have a 17 R3 and I have not found a definite answer to this question. I was going to do something similar by connecting it up to the Mac I have at work.

I've seen people say it can be done, and those who cannot. It could use some sort of Apple hardware communications that allows a MacBook to connect up to the iMac. (You can also use a Mac Mini). I did see where people have done it with PC GPUs, but I don't think it was strictly over ThunderBolt.

Subbed as I am wondering this myself and don't have a cable to test with.

· Registered
21 Posts
(i dont have an iMac) but i would think that since that is not just mini displayport it is also thunderbolt there could possibly be a software to recognize your laptop as a capture device then display its screen on the mac, it just would need a fullscreen option because i dont think you would want to deal with the menu bar and dock on your apps along with a windows taskbar

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.