Overclock.net banner

Can I use tap water to test my system?

638 Views 17 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  SpookedJunglist
I haven't gotten my PC ICE in the mail yet and I was wondering if I can use tap water to do the leak test. Or will this put minerals and other junk in the system and contaminate it?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Yeah, you can use tap water for leak testing, but I really wouldn't keep it in there for more than 24 hours or so.

• Rep+
Reactions: atomicfission92

· Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberDruid

No

lol, using tap water for 24 hours isn't going to hurt anything.

· Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Yes, tap water is very bad for a water loop, and yes, it will cause damage. However, a few hours of leak testing will not produce any undesirable effects. Sure, on a microscopic level it might induce electrolysis, but are you going to notice a difference in temps or see discoloration in your block....no.

I have been reading Procooling for years now, and I understand what you are saying. However, I have done this many times, once again, for only a few hours at a time, and I have never seen any negligible difference in either performance or color of the copper.

Edit: I say this ONLY if you are using an entirely copper/brass loop. If you have aluminum in it, then NEVER use tap water.

· Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Dude, 70 years old?? Umm, I wouldn't put that stuff in my computer, much less drink it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberDruid

Well that's your opinion...

Well, let's do some experimentation. I will see if I can find some cheap copper stock, then set up a loop with the copper inside the resevoir (to simulate a waterblock), and run it for 24 hours with tap water. Then we could perform the same test, with the same size/weight copper block, but use distilled water instead. It would not be empirical scientific data by any means, but at least we could see if there is any visual buildup (or breakdown) after 24 hours. Heck, maybe even perform the test for 48 hours just to see what happens.

· Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by atomicfission92

I say you try that experiment. Why not.

I think I just might do that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.