Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

So i'm in the process of building my gaming PC,And i came to point that i need some advisement,

1- Would i7 930 run 480sli or 470sli on factory speed without bottle-necking the GPUs?

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
6,988 Posts
It's going to be bottlenecked.

·
a turkey is a bad man
6,432 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blayker699 View Post
How much do i have to OC to get the full benfits of 480 sli or 470 sli ?
Honestly anything over 3.6 should be fine however if you can get 4ghz that would be ideal.

·
Registered
170 Posts
CPU stock or GPU stock?

If you want to run stock GPU and are willing to OC your i7 then at 4GHZ and up the 930 does not bottleneck ANY graphics setup at the moment. If you are looking for more performance from your GPUs with a 4GHZ i7 the only way up is to invest in cooling for your cards and clock the living shiza out of them.

·
Registered
537 Posts
if it is bottlenecked then i guess your screwed unless sandybridge is a miracle worker. cuz right now there is no cpu (including 980x) that makes any noticeable FPS difference in games clock for clock above and beyond the 4 core i7900 series. in other words, you'll be fine, you could do 3 480s if you felt like it, cpu botteneck is not an issue, it's simply your ability to cool the cpu so you can overclock it, hence overclock.net
(the cpu (any cpu running high end rigs) is a waste of time if you won't overclock it, where in retrospect the gpu's are fine at stock)

but i repeat, i have no clue why you think an i7 900 series cpu will give you a bottleneck, just do some quick googling for gtx 480 reviews and look at the cpu's they have in the sli rigs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
in this case i think the i7 930 would be out dated in year or so when the new GPU comes out like the 5xx invidia or the 6xxx ati
I'm i right ?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Well first of all, If you are going to buy two GTX 480's I don't see why you wouldn't be overclocking your cpu. Like seriously what kind of enthusiast buy's two 480's and not overclocks there cpu and second even if it's bottlenecking I doubt you will see a big difference. Seriously 2 480's for gaming lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts