Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a computer repair store and the expert over there they said the graphics card that i have will fry the motherboard. so i just took it out but i am now thinking is what they said true. the graphics card is not in the computer right now, but i think it is an ATI Sapp Radeon 4850. something like that. thanks

·
Registered
516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theolive;11931260
I went to a computer repair store and the expert over there they said the graphics card that i have will fry the motherboard. so i just took it out but i am now thinking is what they said true. the graphics card is not in the computer right now, but i think it is an ATI Sapp Radeon 4850. something like that. thanks
did they give you a reason for this?

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
did they say why or how it would fry the motherboard? I think they are full of crap but non the less i would be careful too. Is there something wrong with the GPU?

I would call them up and ask exactly how the GPU could fry the motherboard.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam23;11931273
did they give you a reason for this?
oh yeah another thing i forgot to say is that i had the graphics card in the computer previously for a while also.

·
Premium Member
22,339 Posts
Only thing I could imagine would be if the mobo had an AGP slot and you jammed the 4850 in anyways, lol.

If you had the card in already, I would leave it in and not go back to that repair shop since they gave you bad advice.

·
Car cheaper than computer
3,049 Posts
Expert?
In comp repair shop? Impossible.
They are trying to make money off of you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by L3gacy;11931307
Maybe they mean the PSU isnt good enough.
What motherboard do you have,
What PSU do you have
umm i got a 650 W power supply. umm not sure exactly what my motherboard is but the manufacturer is dell and the model 0K068D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam23;11931330
i trust with no problems...?
there was nothing going on. i had to go to the computer repair shop because the psu before fried.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam23;11931352
well it is Pci-e indeed so dont see the problem, as long as power supply is decent enough
alright so i just wanted to see if would be fine to out the graphics card in and not have the mother board fry

·
VROOM VROOM
6,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theolive;11931335
umm i got a 650 W power supply. umm not sure exactly what my motherboard is but the manufacturer is dell and the model 0K068D
that guy is not an expert, he is an idiot. all motherboard with a spec PCI-e x16 slot is able to put out 75Watts of power, meaning that GPU manufacturers build cards to draw no more then that.
So if it does fry it, that means dell does not build their Motherboards to standards and you could complain to them for that.

·
Premium Member
22,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theolive;11931373
alright so i just wanted to see if would be fine to out the graphics card in and not have the mother board fry
Yeah man you're good. The motherboard doesn't really have any features, but that's fine if you just want to slap the 4850 in and go on your way.

They were probably just trying to get you to upgrade your PC.

·
Ore Wa Gundam
1,800 Posts
Yeah, I was about to ask what Mobo and PSU you have, also.
tongue.gif

Very intrigued to their claim.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm ridiculously slow on the replies it seems.
tongue.gif

Personally I'd just learn more about the workings of the PC, and if you've any questions or problems arise, just ask away here for advice.
As previously stated, PC repair shops get a bad name for themselves, with some being absent-minded and inept at what they claim to do, more after milking you outta money with unnecessary claims and overpriced pruchases.
There are obviously good, honest ones out there, but few and far between to make up for the bad ones unfortunately.
I'd worry more about what kinda PSU they gave you and for how much, rather than the GPU damaging your Mobo.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts