Overclock.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to upgrade and buy an i7 rig. I plan on getting the P6T Deluxe and I am wondering, if I can put a PCI-E 1x card into a PCI-E 4x slot. It doesn't look like it will fit, but pictures can be misleading.

I want to get an X-Fi Titanium soundcard but if I can't use it in my motherboard that's gonna suck. If I can't, anyone know where they sell PCI-E 4x cards? I haven't even seen anything that is PCI-E 4x yet.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
all pci-e slots have the same power specs, the only difference is the number of lanes.

Edit: there are even some people who have modded a PCI-e 1x slot to fit a 16x Graphics card, and it works. so if a PCI-e 16x card works in a 1X slot a 1x card should work in a 4x slot just that 3 of the 4 lanes wont work with the sound card, but thats hardly a biggie

Heres the mod

·
Premium Member
6,125 Posts
Any PCIe card with xN will fit in an xO slot, provided that N is less than O. (N = card length, O = slot length)

~Gooda~

·
Premium Member
16,528 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by noahmateen1234 View Post
Wow +rep for all of you. I never knew a PCI-E 1x could run in a PCI-E 16x.

So will it make a difference if the PCI-1x is in my spare PCI-E 16x slot, like any faster speed or anything. I assume no but might as well ask.
no it would be limited by its x1 bandwidth

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
Quote:

So will it make a difference if the PCI-1x is in my spare PCI-E 16x slot, like any faster speed or anything. I assume no but might as well ask.
The PCI-E x1 card will only ever run at PCI-E x1. The slot will allow up to x16, but the card itself is the limiting factor.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Quote:

As i said

"1x card should work in a 4x slot just that 3 of the 4 lanes wont work with the sound card"

·
Premium Member
2,443 Posts
Also, a x8 card will run in an x4 slot if it will fit, it will just be limited by the x4 bandwidth... the x4 slot would need a notch allowing the physically larger x8 card to fit with the connector coming out at the end, some pci-e slots have the notch, some dont... it depends on the manufacturer.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by superk View Post
I have my x16 8800GT in a 1x (4x electrical) slot currently in a P5K-E

if it fits, it pretty much can go there lol.
That basically how all computer stuff is for the most part. Obviously there are some exceptions but for the most part that applies.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts