Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
like title says is it even possible? and if so how do they do it?.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by newpc View Post
they can do this in australia, most of the time they disable it, if u pay the bill late lol.

they just disable the net from the exchange where my phone line comes from.
lol i haven't paid my phone bill in like 2 years but they still haven't cut anything yet.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by kow_ciller View Post
Yeah, if you torrent stuff they can cut your internet easily.
dont say that that's misleading some torrents are perfectly legal.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Assuming DSL, no they can't physically cut the line and cut Internet without cutting the phone. If you mean turn off, yes they can de-provision Internet separate from voice.

DSL uses frequencies outside of the normal human voice to transmit data which is why you need some type of filter either in your house or at the demark on the side of your house. So it is a different service.

Why do you ask?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by philhalo66 View Post
lol i haven't paid my phone bill in like 2 years but they still haven't cut anything yet.
free net ftw?
they wont disable our net for max of 3 months, then u gotta pay it haha. and my provider isnt allowed to look at what im doing
, although i know a different company which does look at heavy traffic going in/out of your connection.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by RatDog View Post
Assuming DSL, no they can't physically cut the line and cut Internet without cutting the phone. If you mean turn off, yes they can de-provision Internet separate from voice.

DSL uses frequencies outside of the normal human voice to transmit data which is why you need some type of filter either in your house or at the demark on the side of your house. So it is a different service.

Why do you ask?
i figure since i aint payin for it i might as well order 3Mb and be done wiht 768K but i was wondering if they might wise up ahaha and cut me off from both phone and net

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I had this same situation with SBC for 3 years. Then they called me and said they wanted to charge me for 3 years of DSL. I told them to pound sand. We went around and around. They never did charge me for it, but the normal monthly charge showed up on my next bill.

Free Internet sounds like a plan.

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pistons50
View Post

Smart phone these days require a minimum data plan now.

Unless you just buy a phone out-right and put your SIM in it.

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
The short answer is yes, they can prevent you from accessing the internet without blocking your phone. There are actually 2 ways I can think of for them to do this; 1) software disable it by blocking your modem (identified by it's MAC address) from accessing the web or 2) hardware disconnect it by removing the link from their internet switches to your phone line.
Most phone companies can also provide you with DSL internet without phone service.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts