Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is a stupid question but tried searching for it and can not find an answer. My xspc 360 radiator was super dusty and I used a datavac to blow a lot of dust off but there is some that is stuck to the fins. Can you submerge a radiator in water and then let it dry? Never seen anyone do this so assuming no.

·
Programmer
28,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakemfbacon View Post

I don't know if this is a stupid question but tried searching for it and can not find an answer. My xspc 360 radiator was super dusty and I used a datavac to blow a lot of dust off but there is some that is stuck to the fins. Can you submerge a radiator in water and then let it dry? Never seen anyone do this so assuming no.
Yep! You can! I always do this with my rads. Just buy a large bottle of distilled water and pour it into a bowl. Then, submerge the whole rad.
Or if you live in the western EU, there are far less chemicals in the water so you can use tap water to rinse.

·
PC Evangelist
48,444 Posts
I used to too it a lot. Now i am too lazy and just use compressed air to blow the dust inside the case. Hot water is a good idea. When i used to do it all kinds of disgusting dust, oils would come off. At the same time give the inside a cleaning too with vinegar.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Quote:

Yep. You sure can run it under water. I just run mine under the sink a couple times over from both sides then blow as much of the water out with a can of air. Make sure you let it completely dry off before you put your fans back and and put it in your PC.

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Yeah, no problems with that.

I would use the DataVac first to get the worst off, then wash it. You can just run it under the tap (cover the ports if you want) but make sure you dry it well afterwards to avoid the exposed copper fins corroding (DataVac is good for that too).

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Quote:

haha ok thanks guys!!! Yeah i need to clean the inside with vinegar... does it matter if its hot?
It helps if it is mixed with hot water.

Don't make it too hot and remember that the radiator surface will get as hot as the liquid too - you might want to hold it with a towel to protect your hands.

·
Programmer
28,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerJohn View Post

Don't make it too hot and remember that the radiator surface will get as hot as the liquid too - you might want to hold it with a towel to protect your hands.
Yeah, protect your hands. I would just use fairly warm liquid so it is not too hot to touch.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerJohn View Post

This.

When I was pouring near-boiling water in my rad I didn't think "Oh, yeah, it's a giant thermal transfer device". Almost dropped my UT60 when I was cleaning it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.