Overclock.net banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a RockItCool Direct Die Kit (Intel 9th & 10th Gen - Complete). For the past 16 months I've been using that kit in combination with an EKWB CPU water block which only required 4 of the black washers. So when I got the kit in December 2020 I never bothered to check if it was complete. This is everything I received with my kit (not pictured is the frame, it's still on the motherboard and the delid tool is in the black case):

I've upgraded my PC and now I'm left with the old motherboard and CPU. I want to do Direct Die cooling with a Noctua air cooler. Unfortunately some of the washers and all of the spacers were not included. Here is a link to an image with the parts that I don't have circled in red. For a Noctua air cooler the spacers are required and for something like a Corsair AIO you need all 8 black washers:

I've contacted RockItCool 6 days ago and asked them if they can send me the parts. While I'm still waiting on their reply I'm trying to figure out other solutions also since I live in the Netherlands. Even if they can send me the missing parts good chance it can take up to 2 months with current global shipping issues. I've ordered this kit from Amazon. Hopefully I can cut/saw/file those spacers to the same height.

I'm hoping somebody here has this Direct Die kit from RockItCool and can take measurements for me of those spacers. I would like to know the following:
  • Inner diameter
  • Outer diameter
  • Height
Thanks!

·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Still no reply from RockItCool unfortunately so today was experimenting day. I ended buying a Noctua NH-U12S Redux. I needed a decent air cooler for testing purposes anyway and this seemed like a great choice.

I did a test mount first with toothpaste using the spacers I bought on Amazon. For mounting the back plate I used two washers like was shown in the RockItCool instructional video. The spacers that come with the Noctua cooler have a height of 11mm. I started out with 10mm spacers and it looked like I got decent contact with that.
Circuit component Office equipment Building Urban design Audio equipment

I mounted the Noctua cooler using some Arctic Silver 3 (no Liquid Metal yet) and after about 5 minutes of Cinebench R23 the CPU started to throttle and reached 95℃. I decided to redo the mount with 8mm spacers and 1mm washers ending up with 9mm in total. There was little difference. The CPU still throttled and went above 95℃. This testing was done with a 5GHz all core overclock.

Some additional context: when the CPU was in my custom loop it would have an average temperature of 66℃ with a peak temperature of 76℃ after a 30 minute AIDA64 stress test (see attachment OC_15_AIDA64_CL.png).

This is how the cold plate and die looked after the first attempt with 10mm spacers. Right now it's mounted with 9mm spacers (8mm spacer + 1mm washer).
Typewriter Office supplies Office equipment Circuit component Passive circuit component

I decided to remove the overclock and revert the CPU to stock settings with just XMP enabled in the BIOS. I did the test again and this time the temperature is 75℃ average and 85℃ peak after a 30 minute AIDA64 stress test.

I pretty confident right now that the actual mount is correct. If anything there might be a little too much mounting pressure right now. I can't go lower with the spacers because then the Noctua mounting bridges would hit the chokes. I think the missing RockItCool spacers are around 9mm also after experimenting. The only thing left is to try is Liquid Metal to see if that has any impact on the temperature with the Noctua air cooler.

Unless I'm missing anything I think the conclusion is that the difference between this particular air cooler and my old custom loop is simply that huge. I'm going to try Liquid Metal tomorrow.

Any thought on my testing and conclusion?

Attachments

·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Another update. I've decided to switch to Liquid Metal already and the initial results are pretty amazing. I've applied my overclock profile again with a 5GHz all core overclock. I guess it was pretty stupid of me to test with the old Arctic Silver 3 I still had laying around. Right now I'm getting a peak temp of 84℃ and an average of 81℃ during Cinebench R23. I've started the AIDA64 stress test now and will run that for 30 minutes to see. Still a lot higher compared to when it was water cooled (76℃ peak and 66℃ average). But it's no longer going above 95℃ with thermal throttling
Computer Personal computer Computer monitor Computer keyboard Peripheral

1 - 3 of 3 Posts