Overclock.net banner

Can someone answer this?

242 Views 5 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  RyGuy
Hey guys I was wondering whats with the Q6600 I hear soooo much that it's not true quad core what's with that?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
"True" quadcore would be 4 individual cores. That's what AMD is boasting over Intel with their Barcelona. Current quadcores right now are just two dualcore cores on one chip.
Its pretty much two dual cores, but it works as a quad. I think its something like its 4 cores but not all on one die or something..i'm not 100% but ithink thats it
Its two "E"6600 glued together on one CPU.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwIsTeDbOi View Post
"True" quadcore would be 4 individual cores. That's what AMD is boasting over Intel with their Barcelona. Current quadcores right now are just two dualcore cores on one chip.
Isn't a true quadcore a single CPU with 4 cores on one die?

Nobody wants to have 4 single core CPUs on one motherboard.. If you were to buy the same high-end air cooling it would cost like $200+
See less See more
The old "quads" are actually 2 linked dual cores. The newest AMD and next generation Intel quad's will be really quads. That's why the old ones overclock so little and produce so much heat.

P.S> w00t guys hold your horses
See less See more
It has 4 cores, but on 2 dies. It is like taking two C2D chips and putting them on the same chip.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.