Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a bios reset I ran AI Suite 3 again and it's not good, random crashes, freezes etc.

It wasn't perfect before, crashed a few times but a lot better then now.

AI Suite 3 seems to be on adaptive voltage but I have a constant 1.435v and high idle temps.

And I don't think XMP is enabled either. Having mem run slow.
The trippel picture are settings from the previous AIOC
Product Azure Rectangle Font Screenshot

Font Screenshot Software Multimedia Electronic device
Audio equipment Communication Device Font Gadget Electronic device

·
Graphics Junkie
3,894 Posts
No one here would recommend overclocking via software.

• Rep+
Reactions: newls1 and bscool

·
Registered
840 Posts
I would delete (or try to) AI Suite before it messes up your system. Yes. I speak from experience. I am sure there are MANY that would agree. Do all of your OC'ing in Bios.

• Rep+
Reactions: Redwoodz and bscool

·
Super Moderator
14,182 Posts
Yeah, never overclock from software, it's just going to break things. Doing it from the BIOS is the best bet. As for the settings you should use, that depends on your very specific hardware. There's no "use setting x and y, works for me" because there's a pretty good chance it won't work for you unless you ended up getting a CPU and motherboard from the same batch as that person.

As far as actual overclocking goes, these days it's pretty pointless tbh unless you're trying to get work record OCs, but then they're not going to be very stable and will get very hot very quickly. The CPU will boost itself as high as it can safely go when under load. If your XMP is disabled, I'd switch it on in the BIOS and that's about it really. If you do want to tinker a bit with the settings to get slightly better clocks, you can, but as I said personally I don't really see the point. Modern CPUs manage to overclock themselves basically to their limits just fine these days.

·
H₂O Aficionado
4,979 Posts
I had AI Suite II on my X79 / Sandy Bridge-E.

I tried to bench micro adjustments in my overclocks with it. It “worked” but ultimately it was rather unstable and buggy. In the end, it costed more time than just going back and forth from the BIOS.

Take what you want from that info. I’m in the camp of avoid using it and stick to BIOS / UEFI.

·
OG AMD
9,009 Posts
Doesn't work...never has. Just use ASUS' auto overclock in the BIOS if you don't want to manually set things, works just fine usually.

·
Not a linux lobbyist
2,735 Posts
No one here would recommend overclocking via software.
I find overclocking software good for informational purposes.

With a stock bios you can quickly get a feel for about what works, and when using just one it gets close. It also forgets your failed oc upon reboot for the most part which can be handy. Also is very convenient for easily verified options like controlling watts for testing your new cooler. And Armuory Crate is very convenient for fan profiles and seeing just what speed you want particular fans to run at.

But if you have a bios oc and then use oc software on top of it, or have multiple oc software packages running concurrently you will likely be misinformed with an unstable system and may see surprisingly high voltage spikes. Even just using XTU on top of a bios oc does this for me.

That and oc by oc software is inherently unstable over system reboots, windows updates, etc. And Armoury Crate needlessly adds ram latency and system use after you have taken your fan info from it and put it in your bios qfan tuning.

OC software is good for some uses under simplified conditions, it just isn't either stable or permanent.

And in regard to OP:
OC software has saved settings that are tied to whatever bios oc the oc software was configured to. Not all of those saved settings are visible. If you change your bios settings the oc software on top of that may be unstable. I would definitely unuinstall/reinstall it at the least and also try to also get rid of any associated profiles.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Keep ASUS software off your system.

PS, Uninstalling isn't the end of it either. ASUS leaves all kinds of leftover goodies for you to find and remove.
Indeed it does! I bought Revo uninstaller and it worked wonders. Found all the little "tidbits" that uninstalling AI Suite left behind.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts