Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I’m hoping some soul out there will understand my situation and offer some help, I just need some education and I know someone has it.

RAM is: F4-3200C14-16GTRG (64gb / 4 sticks / 3200MHz CL14 XMP Trident Royal RGB)
MOBO & CPU: AMD 5900x / MSI X570 ACE
BIOS: 7C35v1E3(Beta version)

I want to run the bare minimum voltage needed, for whatever level of settings I choose.
My reasoning for this is because I noticed my “Stock” settings are VERY optimistic over what is noted as “Default”.

This is just my personal project I am interested in, I don’t want to technically “overclock”.
CPU is default. I don’t want to touch it right now, but I might at a later point.

I started off by resetting BIOS and running everything on the “OEM settings” or less. Some of it my BIOS lists the default setting, others it does not.
(LOTS of googling and obscure information available. If anyone would like to give me voltage defaults, I would appreciate that. VDDP/VDDG is lost on me.)
I’m trying to remove everything off of “Auto” and learn how things operate.

I could boot into OS and run fine at 2133mhzCL14, with all my current undervolt settings. I could keep going until around 3200mhz, if I raised DRAM to 1.35v
(3000-3200mhz requires the biggest voltage jump. That’s where I had to basically go from 1.2v to 1.35v. The same pattern shows up when going from 3600-3800mhz, it seems.)

Before when everything was on Auto, I could get to 3600/3733/3800/4000 just by changing DRAM voltage.

I used to daily 3733CL14&[email protected]
I can’t get this to work anymore with manual voltages.

Side Note: Now that I am undervolting, my DRAM voltage seems to be running much higher than it used to.

With my current settings, I CAN boot into BIOS, up to 3800, but I CANNOT get into OS (Linux or Windows).

I’ll include pics.
Thank you anyone who can offer some help to what I’m doing wrong.

FFD1A59F-A9EB-40F7-A182-F68B6CC2CCEE.jpeg

080F213E-2CA2-49CF-A57A-48C112FB60E8.jpeg

FE5EE46C-B744-4FDC-9E64-1C58B12E085B.jpeg

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
EDIT: To clarify, these are the settings I just need to change and I CAN boot into OS.
-3200mhz and DRAM voltage.-
(Don’t mind the 1P8 voltage change. I just did it, to do it. I wanted default again.)

DAC09FC0-41ED-4687-9966-06539C3E3826.jpeg

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
21,374 Posts
you can't clock your RAM because SOC voltage is absurdly low.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@The Pook , that is the voltage that started all of this. It kept forcing 1.1v.

You say it’s low, but when everything was still on auto, I could boot fine with this exact SOC voltage with “3733mhz CL14 @1.42v”

I even used to run “CHIPSET CLDO voltage” at 1.0v, no problems.

I have TWO SOC voltages, and I don’t know which is which, or why I have two.
Can you offer a little more insight, please?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I stepped the CPU/NB SOC up to 1.1, and 3600mhz still wouldn’t boot.

In fact, raising the SOC caused other instability issues.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i maybe was not clear enough. I have been playing many outlets of this for a while and i’m at my end of what the issue was. I know that AMD recommends “up to” 1.1v, but i’m curious to see what i can get without going that high.

I have tested that in the past, and once again it did not work.

I have not been concerned because back when the majority of my voltages were in Auto, I ONLY changed SOC to .970, and my 3733mhz OC still worked.

I felt as if this impressive and this is why i chose to undervolt. The only thing ai am trying to do now is bring back my 3733 or work on 3800, with the new undervolt.

If it worked before with the others on Auto, it stands to reason that I could manually set some of these other voltages, but i do not know which one ls it is. I personally don’t think it’s SOC because I already had a proven 3733cl16 on .980v SOC.

I just want to think outside the box and see what I can accomplish. Interested in anyone with some advice of what to play with.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Auto for one setting may very esily "auto" some other related tied setting. Have you tried playing with any of the actual power delivery settings not directly related to voltage values? Might help to lookup the board and known good settings for it's setup and vrm limits

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, I don’t think i know what Power Delivery settings are.

Are those the settings inside of “DigitALL Power” sub menu? LoadLine calibration and all that? I honestly am unsure how to set those kind of settings.

I once watched a video from Buildzoid stating that the VRMs on my mobo are quite possibly more robust than anything you can conceive with an AM4. That’s about all I know.

I appreciate the new opinion, I honestly figured it was as easy as adjust voltages. Unsure what is categorized as a Power Delivery setting, going to have to search more I guess.
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
without looking at your exact mobo's settings i'm not going to suggest any settings good luck understanding the pwoer settings, some boards are not fun to play with

also. if you have a reset button on your case, wire it to the clear cmos jumper if the board doesnt have a button or you need the case closed, just remember to rewire it after its stable

·
OG AMD
8,951 Posts
It really kinda boggles me why you claim you are running default OEM settings but then YOU turn off all auto functions of the board and wonder why it doesn't work.

·
Vandelay Industries
2,396 Posts
It really kinda boggles me why you claim you are running default OEM settings but then YOU turn off all auto functions of the board and wonder why it doesn't work.
I've seen quite a few posts as of late similar. "My stable settings keep crashing".

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i don’t get why you’re picking at my choice of words.

My mobo list “default is 2.500” but the mobo is running 2.580v, or how about the 1P8 that is default 1.8v but was running 1.87v, and I truly cut 15c out of my system by forcing it to “OEM”?
Why would my mobo list these defaults and at the same time also list min and max voltages for these settings.

you don’t want to think outside the box anymore with overclocking? you don’t like to undervolt/overclock at the same time?
I’m just asking how to regain my overclock in the path i choose.
You want to blast everything with voltage, that’s your choice.

These ain’t no reasons to attack people. stop being so negative constantly and offer some advice you might have.

·
OG AMD
8,951 Posts
There's a reason why it gives it that much voltage. It senses the quality of your silicon capabilities and adjusts accordingly much faster and better than you. It's why you leave things on auto unless you know how to diagnose a chips capabilities. You see what I am saying?

·
Iconoclast
30,977 Posts
Some of the AUTO settings are overvolted, or otherwise possible to reduce, but you're also assuming default voltages that are nothing of the sort because you're ignoring how they're derived.

The most notable example of this that I see is your DRAM reference voltage. Default is only 0.6v if you're running your memory at 1.2v, because the spec is half of DRAM voltage.

• Rep+
Reactions: bunnybutt

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
@Blameless THANK YOU! That’s exactly the kinda info i was asking about.
My mobo just says “default is .600v” and I couldn’t come up with much info while googling.

Can you give me some examples for any others you are familiar with that i might have wrong?
What vague info i can find on VDDG/VDDP reads something kinda like: “VDDG is in .40mv steps away from dram, up to 1.0v, and VDDP needs to be at least .10mv below from VDDG.”
However when I lowered VDDP from .900 to .850/.800, I got stable boot, vs raising it near 1.0v did nothing for me.
I am having a hard time understanding the rules, that is why I posted.

That’s all I’m doing, trying to ask what the rules are for voltages, and I’m simply showing my work.

Half of dram.
I really appreciate your info, I’ll go test it out.

FYI though, I am now booting into OS at 3800/[email protected]
I believe it is the 1P8 setting. I raised it a bit to 1.812v but I also raised dram quite a bit.
I took a break last night as soon as i succeeded and I’m about to do more testing soon.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
It boots
Resets
Loads any OS
Running the exact RAM OC specs as before
Processes on the spot from either cold idles or when running hot
New idle is around 32c(vs44) and “running hot” is now 65c(vs77)

Most of all, I have HIGHER gaming FPS, than I did BEFORE, when sweating the heck out of it with “Core Optimization” and “PBO.”
(One particular favorite title could barely best 135fps average with my best efforts OCed... it was good enough, I guess.... Until the below specs net me 145-151fps.)

Sure, there’s plenty more testing to do, (I am curious if Load Line Calibration can do anything for me?)
But I’m not stressed about chasing arbitrary numbers in a benchmark, you guys enjoy that and I respect it.
I’m just curious about seeking real world gaming performance and I have been shocked how doing the reversal of what I know creates better gaming performance. (sometimes every little bit helps when you’re trying to match 144fps/144hz.)

I am always interested in hearing from others that know more than myself, here are my specs that are working, Thank you for the help:

6D298F07-2551-4064-A16F-0704A8D2E79C.jpeg

4B0232CC-59FF-49D0-B6B6-98A13514FF51.jpeg

92F35BCC-66C4-4FFA-9D00-EC865CA11540.jpeg

·
Iconoclast
30,977 Posts
Can you give me some examples for any others you are familiar with that i might have wrong?
Anything that has an LDO in it comes from a low-dropout regulator attached to another source and, perforce, cannot reach the voltage of that source. This is why CLDO VDDP and VDDG voltages cannot exceed others (VDIMM and VSOC respectively).

Most of these voltages don't have any hard and fast rules, but significantly undervolting some of them can introduce intermittent instabilities that can be very hard to diagnose, for little to no benefit. Memory VPP is a good example...it contributes very little to total memory power and reducing it saves almost nothing. You may well be able to get away with 2.2v but it will be a pain to validate and there is no harm in leaving it at 2.5v.

You also have to be wary of low SoC voltages. The CPU I/O die controls a lot more than just memory and it's easy to introduce instabilities in the PCI-E, SATA, or USB controllers even if the system is passing memory stress tests without issue.

Changing so many parameters at once is a testing nightmare.

• Rep+

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Theres alot going on when trying to overclock cpu and ram on this gen of AMD. VDDP for the chip is best set to 900. The part of the voltages included with ram scale differently depending on what going on with the entire cpu. If you can find user VEII he can explain alot about it. I had a tab open for a long while in this browser but I dont anymore where he was discussing how to manage all of the multiple voltages associated literally I think theres like nearly 10 voltages to tweak and consider with Ram OC and cpu overclock.
It is suggested to make sure you have a rock stable CPU overclock/undervolt before touching the ram.

• Rep+

·
OG AMD
8,951 Posts
It boots
Resets
Loads any OS
Running the exact RAM OC specs as before
Processes on the spot from either cold idles or when running hot
New idle is around 32c(vs44) and “running hot” is now 65c(vs77)

Most of all, I have HIGHER gaming FPS, than I did BEFORE, when sweating the heck out of it with “Core Optimization” and “PBO.”
(One particular favorite title could barely best 135fps average with my best efforts OCed... it was good enough, I guess.... Until the below specs net me 145-151fps.)

Sure, there’s plenty more testing to do, (I am curious if Load Line Calibration can do anything for me?)
But I’m not stressed about chasing arbitrary numbers in a benchmark, you guys enjoy that and I respect it.
I’m just curious about seeking real world gaming performance and I have been shocked how doing the reversal of what I know creates better gaming performance. (sometimes every little bit helps when you’re trying to match 144fps/144hz.)

I am always interested in hearing from others that know more than myself, here are my specs that are working, Thank you for the help:

View attachment 2488874
View attachment 2488875
View attachment 2488876

That's great. I suggest finding out what an adjustment does exactly before you actually adjust it. Saves a lot of time. LLC is very important, can greatly increase your temps.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When I have more time I will search out the user you mentioned and see if I can learn anything else.

you convinced me of my errors.
I even did some testing and I admit, CHIPSET CLDO voltage at 1.0 will cause some weird dips from the cpu during 3DMark bench testing. You can’t seem them as it operates, but the graph report at the end shows them.
Returning to stock 1.2v removes these dips, so i can admit I had something wrong even if it ran fine.

I went ahead and put all of the VDDP/VDDG/VPP/chipset voltages back to auto, or I set them to overvolt just a little bit. I do have some positive from my undervolting, I now can get to stable 3800/cl16 @1.44v
I’ve been running AIDA64 stress tests, and I haven’t had any errors.

Although, something has happened (maybe it’s a dual boot issue with Linux/Windows, unless someone can tell me why) my voltages no longer show readout for some in BIOS. I can see the the voltages in HWinfo, and they read correctly. Even if I put them to Auto, they return to their respective voltages... BIOS just won’t show the readouts. I tried reflashing the bios but that did not fix it.

Other than that, everything is working great. I’ve never seen my system boot so stable for 3800mhz before. Any attempts before used to result in boot loading freezes and cmos clear.

46CA32DB-8F79-4982-A334-35BD41B0DF22.jpeg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts