Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a new build up and running perfectly for about three weeks (ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Extreme Motherboard, Core i7-6700 Skylake Processor, ASUS Strix GTX 980 x 2, G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR4 3000 Memory 32GB, CORSAIR AXi series AX1200i 1200W Digital ATX12V)

Night before last I added a 7" LCD monitor just for monitoring system temps and such, mostly for eye candy. I had already tested it with my external graphics cards but because I run 4 monitors I wanted to take advantage of the M8E integrated graphics for the little screen. I couldn't get anything on the screen so I booted into the Bios and found the setting for iGPU - the manual says "Set this to enabled to empower both integrated and discrete graphics for multi-monitor output." so I set to enabled. On re-boot, I had no graphics on primary monitor or little screen. Tried a bunch of different configurations and finally was able to get output to the little monitor connected to the integrated graphics but only if all other monitors were disconnected. Obviously not what I was looking for.

So I called ASUS tech support, and long story short the tech insisted that the BIOS needed flashing - I had not done a BIOS update from USB on this board so I had him walk me through it - bottom line, he told me to insert the flash drive containing new BIOS into USB but didn't tell me it had to be a specific port. The flash seems to have corrupted the BIOS because in the hour or so following, nothing he had me try could get the board to even start the boot up process. I'm not blaming him(well, sort of) it's my system and I have a manual and the manual clearly points out the port you must use, but I was just listening to him. After he gave up, I was issued an RMA number to send the board in...damn.

The next morning I got into the manual and realized the Maximus Extreme has two BIOS! I guess the level 1 tech didn't know that. I hit the button, switched to a fresh BIOS, it still didn't boot up, but after a PROPER flash, my system was resurrected! I even got the little 7" screen working on the integrated graphics output. All was wonderful again...but now I knew I should have two BIOS available so I decided to try the one thing the tech didn't try, clearing the CMOS on BIOS #1. I hit switch BIOS button, the LED indicated I was now on the other BIOS (which again would not boot up) I cleared the CMOS using the button on back panel and still no boot.

Now the end of my sordid tale...BIOS number one is obviously gone so I hit the button to switch back to the second BIOS, and nothing. The switch BIOS button no longer works so I am truly dead in the water.

Any suggestions?

You can see from the pic this is not a system I want to rip apart

Happier times...

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Can you not flash the broken bios from within Windows to fix it? Maybe try holding down the bios switch button when booting or something. Back then I think there used to be a jumper to change bios but now everything is automatic at least for Gigabyte's Dual Bios system.

The only other option is to purchase a replacement bios from eBay and put that chip in place of the faulty bios chip.

·
Registered
441 Posts
x99 deluxe - after 3004 bios flashing, mine is no booting to. Unplugged cord, didn't work. CLR CMOS didn't work.

Try remove rams, and push power. It will give no ram code. Shutdown and plug ram kits again and restart. I wrote in x99 page but no one believes, but this is the only way for me. May it work for you too

·
Registered
499 Posts
You can still try flashing again with the flashback feature. You just have to rename the bios file properly on a usb stick and put it in the flashback port. Top of the back panel of your extreme are two buttons... the one towards the window side of the case would be clear cmos and the one towards the back panel is the flashback.

*edited to add*

You need to rename the bios file you want to use to: M8E.CAP

You then copy that file to the root of your USB device and plug it into the flashback port. You then press the usb bios flashback button for 3 seconds (the led light you have the switch set to 1/2 will flash). There is also a I believe green color led in the flashback button that flashes as well during this process.

The light will flash during the process which can take some time. When the process is done the light will stop flashing.

If you do try to flash again and it still won't start... you can try clearing cmos again. What you described in the OP doesn't really sound like it should kill a board. (just my opinion).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoob View Post

Can you not flash the broken bios from within Windows to fix it? Maybe try holding down the bios switch button when booting or something. Back then I think there used to be a jumper to change bios but now everything is automatic at least for Gigabyte's Dual Bios system.

The only other option is to purchase a replacement bios from eBay and put that chip in place of the faulty bios chip.
I can't flash within Windows because it won't boot up period. I had no idea you could purchase a bios chip - I found one on ebay for $14.25...would that void my warranty?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalwolf View Post

You can still try flashing again with the flashback feature. You just have to rename the bios file properly on a usb stick and put it in the flashback port. Top of the back panel of your extreme are two buttons... the one towards the window side of the case would be clear cmos and the one towards the back panel is the flashback.

*edited to add*

You need to rename the bios file you want to use to: M8E.CAP

You then copy that file to the root of your USB device and plug it into the flashback port. You then press the usb bios flashback button for 3 seconds (the led light you have the switch set to 1/2 will flash). There is also a I believe green color led in the flashback button that flashes as well during this process.

The light will flash during the process which can take some time. When the process is done the light will stop flashing.

If you do try to flash again and it still won't start... you can try clearing cmos again. What you described in the OP doesn't really sound like it should kill a board. (just my opinion).
That is the exact process I have followed...3 different bios downloads, with and without clearing cmos. Only thing different is that first time it was in the wrong USB port. Process worked fine in bios #2 after switching, but when I tried #1 again it now won't switch back. Seems to be something more going on with this MB if the switch bios button is now dead. Another thing I didn't mention, the Bios flashback button used to be lit up green whenever PSU was on. It is now dark unless I'm attempting a flash, then it flashes blue in sync with the bios led...and I've tried clearing the cmos probably 5 times now.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner434 View Post

I can't flash within Windows because it won't boot up period. I had no idea you could purchase a bios chip - I found one on ebay for $14.25...would that void my warranty?
I don't see why it would as long as your careful not to scratch your motherboard or bend any pins. You can load the new bios and try to reflash the broken one.

Here's an idea, since the computer starts and loads only one bios at a time and chooses one main and uses the secondary as a backup, you could technically swap the 2nd working bios chip and place it in the 1st bios' socket and try to boot up that way and recover the bad flashed one. If that doesn't work you would have to buy a new chip.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm in exactly the same situation with the same MB! ..what did you end up doing? My switch BIOS button isn't working either.
[edit]
After receiving an RMA number from newegg.com; I decided one last test. I pulled the BIOS chips and put BIOS 2 into slot 1. It went through 5-6 power on/off cycles each getting further and then finished posting! I put memory back, then GPU back, I'm back into BIOS settings. ***, BIOS switch not working combined with BIOS corruption. I think we're not the only ones.

Now I can't decide whether or not to ship it back anyway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for the slow reply...working crazy hours these days. I did buy that BIOS chip to replace BIOS #1, but since I was able to switch to #2 and it has been working I decided not to mess with it.
Definitely something goofy with this MB, It occasionally is reluctant to boot up and I have to power off PSU, but it's rare and I have always been able to get it going. I have still considered a return, but considering everything involved I'm sticking with it as-is. It is running a stable OC of 4800 MHz with an i7 6700 and runs my Oculus Rift like a champ with a couple ASUS 980 Strix.
I never would have thought to switch the chips, pretty smart - hope it works out for you!

I finally finished the eye candy on mine, I'll post some real photos when I get a chance...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner434 View Post

I never would have thought to switch the chips, pretty smart - hope it works out for you!

I finally finished the eye candy on mine, I'll post some real photos when I get a chance...
Nice looking rig!

I decided to prepare for an RMA and opened one with newegg.com

Just prior to unmounting the water cooler to remove the CPU, I decided to do one final test: I pulled the BIOS 1 to see if the BIOS switch would work, it did not. I pulled the BIOS 2 chip and inserted it into slot 1. Using safe-boot, the system started going through POST! It did 5-6 cycles of power on/off getting further each time until it stopped at memory. I reinserted the memory and GPU and it booted all the way into BIOS.

Then I was thinking I don't know if I should send it back anyway; since the BIOS switch doesn't work and one of the BIOS is corrupt (and apparently can't be reflashed). It's a lot of trouble to figure out which screws and connectors came with the damn board.

This morning I put BIOS 2 back, pressed BIOS switch button, nothing. I booted into Windows, let it settle, and shut it down cleanly. Tried the button and it worked!

So I tried flashback to 2202 on BIOS 2, same result, stuck at 00. I held down the power button for 4 seconds to power off. The BIOS switch worked! Back on BIOS 1. I think at this point, I'll order a $15 BIOS chip from eBay and cancel the RMA.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts