Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the topic says.

I was going to hop on getting 2x 6950's when I heard about all the news. Ended up having to shell out some money elsewhere for unexpected bills and didn't get the chance to do so.

Currently have a ATI 5870 that I'd like to upgrade and sell. Either GTX 580 or 2x 6950's unlocked to 6970's if possible.

·
Registered
830 Posts
The old batch are all unlockable but rumors have been going around stating the new batch will not. I just recently got mines and they're selling out quick! All 6950 at Amazon are all gone except the over price Asus and late entry VisionTek.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbalt89
View Post

Get a 570 and overclock it instead.

Or I could just get another 5870 and have more performance and save money?

I'm looking to save money & gain performance here.

·
Registered
432 Posts
hey balsagna im trying to PM you back but your inbox is full.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
6950s are great performers. When clocked to 6970 level, both cards are very close to one another.

To answer your question...AFAIK, the current batches are still unlockable but there is talk of the newer revision being laser cut or something.

If your goal is to gain performance and save as much money as possible, then just jump on another 5870. You can find them used for $200 most of the time.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know what I'll do yet. Someone might by my 5870 and I'll get a GTX 580 or a variation of that performance

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I was to pick up another 5870'. I'd want a reference one as that's what I have. But anywho,

To stay on topic - Seems as AMD might have fixed the cards already. Wonder if ebay I'll have better luck even if I spend and extra 10-20 to unlock to 6970 performance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just a word of caution, watch yourself if you get the 6950 and unlock it to a 6970, there are reports of cards starting to die from it now. (From what I hear it it because the ram used in both cards are different.)

You can still unlock the shaders for the 6950, but I wouldn't personally overclock it to the 6970 settings.

I just unlocked the shaders and OC'd mine to 840/1375 to be safe.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I would pick up a second 5870 if you can find a reference one at a good price--if not I would sell the 5870 and pick up a pair of 6950s since they seem to scale so well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Balsagna
View Post

If I was to pick up another 5870'. I'd want a reference one as that's what I have. But anywho,

To stay on topic - Seems as AMD might have fixed the cards already. Wonder if ebay I'll have better luck even if I spend and extra 10-20 to unlock to 6970 performance.

I just had ordered mine on newegg about a week ago and I got one that is still from the old batch

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lucky you, but in a week things can change

I think I might skip out and sell my 5870 and pick up a GTX 580. The money I sell my card for will go back into getting it.

But then again... IDK - I hate shopping :C

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Colt
View Post

Its not matter if you unlock or no, 6950 worth the money in both cases.

Not if I already have a 5870 where I could buy another one and have more performance while shelling out less money for a single card if I didn't really want to 'upgrade' to a different card.

My point is, if I'm going to upgrade, I want to upgrade to the fastest card out there currently. The 6950's are fast yes, but I'd rather have a 6970 than a 6950. I'd rather have a GTX 580 than a 6970...

However, I'd rather have 2x 6950's unlocked to 6970's to save me an extra $160+ lol

Confusing I know

·
Registered
830 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thursdae
View Post

Just a word of caution, watch yourself if you get the 6950 and unlock it to a 6970, there are reports of cards starting to die from it now. (From what I hear it it because the ram used in both cards are different.)

You can still unlock the shaders for the 6950, but I wouldn't personally overclock it to the 6970 settings.

I just unlocked the shaders and OC'd mine to 840/1375 to be safe.

Where did your source come from? I've read so many thread and visited a lot of forums and so far everybody have successfully flashed to 6970 w/o any problems, except for ATI Tool. Other than that, problem was easily solve and 6950 have been running 6970 spec + w/o issues.

·
Aussie Overclocker
2,791 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaRookie
View Post

Where did your source come from? I've read so many thread and visited a lot of forums and so far everybody have successfully flashed to 6970 w/o any problems, except for ATI Tool. Other than that, problem was easily solve and 6950 have been running 6970 spec + w/o issues.

+1. I've not heard/read of anyone's card having problems due to being unlocked

·
PC Evangelist
47,542 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaRookie
View Post

If you dont keep temps under control it could happens. For anyone that unlocks dont use stock fan profile. I tried to play Crysis with stock fan profil and it only got to 44% and temps was 87C and i crashed. Put fan profile one @ 67C 55% fan speed and for hours.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts