Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

In the wake of our Athlon X2 BE-2350 review, the folks at Intel contacted me with a challenge. We had tested AMD's new low-power processor with a motherboard based on the AMD 690G chipset and found the combination to be exceptionally power efficient. We had not, however, tested Core 2 Duo E4300 alongside Intel's G965 Express chipset, which also packs integrated graphics and a low power footprint.

We'd neglected to test this config in part because, honestly, we didn't expect the G965/E4300 combo to deliver results in the same class as the X2 BE-2350/690G pairing. Some of our previous tests had suggested that motherboards based on the G965 chipset drew more power than AMD 690G boards.

Intel confidently claimed its solution was competitive, though, and suggested we test and see for ourselves. That only seemed fair to me, so I decided to give it a shot.

The results are below. We tested the E4300 on an Intel DG965WH motherboard with the same basic configurations and methods used in our Athlon X2 BE-2350 review, logging power over time while the system rendered a scene in Cinebench using multiple threads. I suggest looking over that review for complete info on how we tested.

I've included results from several different Core 2 Duo E4300 configs, including:

* Our stock Core 2 system based on the 975X chipset with a GeForce 7900 GTX graphics card

* A system based on the G965 mobo with this same graphics card

* The G965 system using its integrated graphics processor (IGP) instead of discrete graphics

The Tech Report: Read Full News

·
Super Noob
1,774 Posts
to bad when i oc mine it will destroy any amd rig lol.

·
Banned
8,570 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Delphi
View Post

to bad when i oc mine it will destroy any amd rig lol.

I did score a better 3dmark06 score with a 320mb 8800gts and an opteron 170. =o). I would consider them fairly close in comparison.

·
Super Noob
1,774 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NCspecV81
View Post

I did score a better 3dmark06 score with a 320mb 8800gts and an opteron 170. =o). I would consider them fairly close in comparison.

Ok, but it was only at 2.7ghz becuase of stock cooling, and i didnt do any memory timmiings tweaking, my goal is to get to 11k

·
Banned
8,570 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Delphi
View Post

Ok, but it was only at 2.7ghz becuase of stock cooling, and i didnt do any memory timmiings tweaking, my goal is to get to 11k

Just trying to clarify that "destroying" isnt really appropriate, as they are pretty comparable. I can't even remember what speed my bench was ran at. I'm pretty sure it was either 2.8 or 2.9ghz.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by apavlov13 View Post
Don't forget that opty came out like 5 years ago?
Yes i think that a lot of people have forgoten that it was a so long ago and just last year intel came out with somthing that could beat AMD and in the none overclocking world AMD still has chips that can easly beat Core 2 duo chips.sure the AMD clock speeds are higher now compared to what they where back then but they still hold there ground.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts