Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cases do that?

I'm not even sure if my current motherboard even can do that. I was wondering if I could use two video cards in that case and on my motherboard. So I can dedicate my old 8800gts 320mb card to physx and have my main card GTX 470 for rendering the graphics or something...

Also, how do you go about dedicating a card to physx? Because the guy who puts my pc together knows nothing about this, and neither do I!

Its not a huge deal if my motherboard or case won't allow for two cards to be in it at once. I run physx on high with my gtx 470 on Mafia two without any real stutters at max graphics anyways. I'm just worried about future gaming.

Also, it might be stupid to have two video cards in one case since it might generate too much heat overall.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't know a whole lot about the 912 specifically, but I do have the HAF 922. I know that mine fits two 470s with ease. Basically, if the tower fits your whole motherboard, your motherboard has two video card slots, and the cards are not so long that they dont fit in your case, you can do it.

Just make sure you have two slots of the interface that your cards require. Most likely this is a PCI Express 2.0 slot. So, make sure you have two PCI-Express 2.0 slots with adequate spacing to hold both of your cards, and they will fit in your case no problemo.

As for dedicating PhysX, you simply go to the PhysX option on your nvidia control panel, and choose which card you want to use for PhysX.

Good luck!

·
Ore Wa Gundam
1,800 Posts
Your Motherboard (assuming the one listed in sig rig) is a Micro ATX, and only has one PCI-E slot for your graphics card, so unfortunately you can't run SLI/Dedicated PhysX on it.

You'd need an SLI capable Mobo (2 or more PCI-E lanes), as rydeordie1190 said, to dedicate a GPU to PhysX, you need to just goto nVidia Control Panel and in the PhysX section there'll be the option to do so there.

I aint really looked into the 912 as yet, as I'm waiting for the release and price of the 912+ to get for my little brother, so not really looked into the depth specifications of it, as to the maximum length of card that'll fit.
That'll be the only real thing possibly stopping you from running two cards in that case.

The heat issue can be dwelled by adding a Side-Panel fan and making sure your case airflow is good and not blocked with wires by keeping 'em tidy and behind the mobo tray maybe even slinging a fan on your top exhaust and/or one in the 5.25 bays.
Also replacing the TIM on your 8800GTS wouldn't hurt, but it'll still produce heat from the backside of the card.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts