Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this is overclock.net but I was wondering if there is a way to underclock this i7-8700 cpu (the non-k version)? I'm pretty new to pc building.

My motherboard is:ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac LGA 1151 (300 Series)

My CPU cooler is Noctua NH-L12S 70mm

My case is SilverStone SST-RVZ03B (cpu cooler limit is 83 mm for this case)

If i cant underclock then I was thinking of replacing with the Cryorig C1 cooler, which some have said is better than the Noctua NH-L12S

The noctua cpu fan is mounted under the aluminum fins so I believe it is blowing upwards and the Silverstone case fan is blowing towards the cpu cooler. I don't know if that is affecting heat dissipation.

Idle temps are around 35 C - 40 C. Gaming temps are around 70-85 C. CPU Stress test (with all 12 threads) with furmark can get up to high 90s after 5 min or so. Not sure if this is too hot. I'm using MX-4 thermal paste.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,788 Posts
It's not really "too hot" - 85c is still within operating range.

You have a Z board so you should have a ton of voltage options in BIOS. Just work your way down until it's unstable.

·
Registered
977 Posts
The i7-8700 can run 100% reliably at any core temperature under 100°C. You are under that temperature during normal use so no worries. Save your money. Furmark is not a realistic kind of load.

The default voltage going to Intel CPUs is always on the high side of what is actually needed. You should be able to reduce the CPU core / cache voltage in the bios. A negative offset of -100 mV is possible. Reduce your voltage in small steps and do lots of stability testing before going lower.

For software voltage and speed control, check out Intel XTU or ThrottleStop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I pulled up XTU and set it at -0.100 V. Is that correct?

The i7-8700 can run 100% reliably at any core temperature under 100°C. You are under that temperature during normal use so no worries. Save your money. Furmark is not a realistic kind of load.

The default voltage going to Intel CPUs is always on the high side of what is actually needed. You should be able to reduce the CPU core / cache voltage in the bios. A negative offset of -100 mV is possible. Reduce your voltage in small steps and do lots of stability testing before going lower.

For software voltage and speed control, check out Intel XTU or ThrottleStop.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thankyou for the help. I do already notice a temp change in the stress test

Yes.

You can use the built in benchmark to put a load on your CPU. Try different voltages and see if the maximum core temperature changes. Use the same offsets for core and cache.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts