Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 7900GTO, which says it requires at least 450 watts of power. The problem is, my system only has a 430 watt PSU. It is a Thermaltake, so the rating is probably accurate (unlike some generic PSU wattage ratings).
So far, I've had no problems with the system, but I'm worried that the insufficient power could lead to performance problems or worse, a dead PSU.

The system is also pretty taxed as-is. Water cooling, overclocked, etc . . .

So, my question is this: is this relatively safe, or should I invest in a dedicated video card PSU or a new >500 watt system PSU?

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
yea with your cpu, drives and water cooling I would look into a bigger PSU.

Or you can just try running it, and if you get any artifracting then you pretty much know what is wrong.

Atleast try it. If it doesn't work then get the bigger PSU.

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. If you start having any problems then maybe look into a higher quality PSU. I'm thinking if it works why mess with it?

·
Premium Member
4,746 Posts
It is very possible that the TT 430 could handle your 7900GTO because TT makes very strong PSU's, I only have a 480W Toughpower and it powers a metric TON of crap in my PC, 4 opticals, 2 HDD's, Cold Cathodes, 4 fans, 7800GT, wayyyy oc'd P4...

Try it out, it might work, but if not, I would suggest the 550W Toughpower as I have had much luck with the TT Toughpower series

·
Premium Member
4,076 Posts
Yea, my thermaltake 430W can take all the stuff in my sig, which includes SLI'd 7600GT's. If you have problems, get a new one, and if you don't, just save the $$.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Well, this has been discussed many times before.
The card specs may be asking for a min of a 450 watts.
What is the min amps the card specs is asking for?
Most I have seen the card ask for a min of 18 amps on the 12v rail.
you would be surprised how many 400 to 550 watt power supplies
Have 14 or 16 amps for the 12v rail.
Just as said before I too have the 480 watt power supply.
it comes with 2 12v rails with 18 amps on each, at least 2 of every kind
Of connection you can think of, one of the best power supplies I have ever had.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
XxcoffeexX: I got the same psu and it runs my 7900gt and my liquid cooled rig and 2x sunon fans just fine. so I imagin you'll be ok eventhough your card draws a little more power than mine. I've heard a powersupply will actaully supply a little more power than its raiting if needed. Although I believe it shortens the life of the psu. Only thing I notice is I can't OC my card very much but it runs the entire rig without a hitch.

So far any advise or suggestions anyone has given me about replacing my TT 430W psu because its too weak has been wrong. Ether this psu is god or some people don't know what they are talking about, because my Rig is

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken, the Thermaltake TR2 430w only has a single 12V rail with 18A on it. It's quite possible the full 18A is available, but that still isn't a lot. A 400w FSP Sparkle, for example, has dual 18A rails, with 14-15A available on each.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
IMO, you should be fine since your not running anything super duper but that new videocard. If all is well and you dont get random crashes from lack of power, I think the PSU is fine. But if you start to see symptoms, then invest in a good 600w PSU to try and avoid this in the near future from happening again.

Right now the OCZ gamexstreme power supplies are selling for very cheap, and are great power supplies. If you just want to play it safe, then get one of these puppies!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817341001

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all, I went ahead and bought a Thermaltake 250 Watt dedicated video power supply just to play it safe.

At $50, I'd even go so far as to recommend this to those who don't feel like disconnecting/reconnecting everything to a new PSU just because they bought a beefier video card(s). It fits nicely in a 5.25" bay (and expansion slot for the cord) and has dual 12v rails.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts